Lobo redshirt senior right side Chantale Riddle serves the ball during their game against Utah State at Johnson Gym on Thursday, Oct. 2. Riddle was named National Player of the Week.

Riddle nets national player of the week honor

Chantale Riddle added yet another accomplishment to her list of achievements throughout her tenure at New Mexico.

The All-American said she was surprised, but not completely shocked at receiving the Sports Imports/AVCA Division 1 National Player of the Week, on Tuesday.

“This is definitely something that I can put on my volleyball resume,” Riddle said.

Head coach Jeff Nelson said the accolade is a huge win for the team as a whole and the program.

“It’s a huge honor,” Nelson said. “It’s a great honor for her and the team because that means the team is playing well.”

Nelson said despite off-court issues, Riddle continues to put up great numbers and will continue to climb the history books for the remainder of the year. Riddle’s mother is battling cancer and is very ill, but Riddle said the award brought a smile to her mother’s face.

“It means a lot to me and my mom,” Riddle said. “She is not doing well right now and it made her happy.”

In her performance last week against Utah State (10-12, 6-6 MW) and Boise State (13-11, 6-6 MW), Riddle accumulated her 11th double-double of the season in addition to 37 kills over the span of the two games.

“It wasn’t about going for the award,” Riddle said. “I play to do what I need to for my team.”

At the start of the week, Riddle was just 65 kills away from taking the crown as New Mexico’s all-time kills leader. Former Lobo Tania Gooley holds the record with 1,579. Riddle is averaging 13.32 kills over 25 matches.

With six games left on the season, Riddle needs to average 10.83 kills to be in sole place of the award. Riddle will have to average 17.66 kills over the next six games to claim sole possession of the conference record, held by Utah’s Kim Turner.

“It’s not about the amount of kills, it’s about helping my team,” Riddle said. “My team’s play has been incredible and that helps me approach the kill record or whatever is next.”

Liam Cary-Eaves is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.