Crime briefs for Feb. 5, 2015

Garcia’s Kitchen swindled
 by fast talker

On Jan. 16, UNM Police Department was approached by an employee of Garcia’s Kitchen in the Student Union Building in reference to fraud. According to the report, a customer paid for a Gatorade using a $50 bill. The customer asked for the $50 bill back, saying he did not want to use it for the transaction, confusing the employee.

After the customer left the restaurant, the employee realized that she had returned an extra $50, saying that the customer was a quick talker and good at confusing her. The UNMPD officer later found a subject who matched the description of the customer at the Phillips 66 and Donut Mart on Lomas Boulevard. The officer approached the subject who had a wad of cash in his hand. The clerk of the Donut Mart said the subject had tried to swindle him after he received change from a minimal purchase. The subject repaid the $50 to Garcia’s Kitchen. The restaurant did not pursue charges against the subject.

Employee’s tools 
stolen from truck

On Jan. 22, a UNM employee made a report with UNMPD in reference to larceny. According to the report, the employee parked his truck in G Lot on Jan. 21 at about 8 a.m. When he returned at about 4:30 p.m., he found that someone had forced entry into his truck bed tool box and took a hand tool, a hand drill and hand saw. There are no current suspects.

Car taken from South Lot

On Jan. 27, UNMPD was dispatched to South Lot in reference to an unlawful taking of a motor vehicle. According to the report, a student parked her car in South Lot at about 10:30 a.m. When she returned at about 6:40 p.m., her White Cadillac Escalade was gone. UNMPD entered the vehicle into the National Crime Information Center and also checked with other local police departments.

Professor’s property 
repeatedly damaged

On Jan. 29, a professor made a report with UNMPD in reference to stalking and criminal damage. According to the report, someone took a book from her employee mailbox, sliced it until it was destroyed, then returned the book to her mailbox. Someone has also scratched the professor’s vehicle on two different occasions.

Graffiti and spray paint 
found around campus

Between Jan. 29 and Feb. 1, UNMPD found black, white, yellow and blue illegible graffiti on the stucco walls and doors on Woodward Hall on both levels, fresh white and black spray paint at the Yale Parking Structure and white spray paint on the Student Health Building. The value of damage is estimated at more than $1,000.

~ Compiled by Erika Eddy