Exchange system looks to empower through books

Chelsea McBride, founder of 1000 Paper Brainz, said the name was originally an idea for an art project based on the Japanese novel “A Thousand Paper Cranes,” which is founded on the legend suggesting that if one folds 1,000 origami cranes, he or she will be granted a wish.

“I’m an avid book reader and lover. I’m always trying to think of ways to convince everybody to read,” she said. “I took the idea to my Albuquerque Bar Krawl Krew (the local chapter of Zombie Bar Krawl), and they loved it.”

1000 Paper Brainz is a version of the little libraries concept, where a person who wants a book can take one from miniature bookshelves that are maintained by community members. People can also leave books to share. At present, there are libraries at The Shop Breakfast & Lunch, Rebel Donuts and in front of a few residences around Albuquerque. More libraries are under construction, and Zombie Bar Krawl is seeking more people and places willing to host the libraries, volunteers and book donations.

Elizabeth McKenzie, a baker at the Westside Rebel Donuts, said that although 1000 Paper Brainz is for all ages, she hopes to benefit the children of the community.

“I was read to as a child. I really feel like it helped with my speech, with my vocabulary and my imagination,” McKenzie said. “I’m doing it mainly for the kids because that’s where everything begins.”

Alex Curtis, a freelance farmer, said it’s about putting more books in the hands of more people.

“It’s about community-building and sharing among people; I think it’s important for me to do my part and give back,” Curtis said. “You don’t need a university to be educated. With books, people can educate themselves. The more people that know about this, the more books will be donated, and the better it will be.”

Curtis, McBride and McKenzie all said they were trying to get the libraries on the campuses of universities, high schools and elementary schools in order to build stronger ties between people within the educational communities.

McBride said 1000 Paper Brainz is also building a website for people to learn more about the local little library movement.

The website, www.abq-zombie.com, does not limit itself to providing information for only 1000 Paper Brainz libraries. It aims to catalogue all of the exchange libraries in the state, she said.

Kevin Haaf is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo.