Joe Ragland
Joe Ragland

Five and Why with Joe Ragland III

Joe Ragland III, a senior psychology major, said his five favorite artists and celebrities are all feminists. He said he appreciates the way that their movies and music mold our society.

1.Lady Gaga: Musician

“She’s an activist for basic human rights. She cares about gay rights (and) she cares about female rights. She cares about people being able to express themselves. No matter how weird everyone thinks it is, she just does whatever.”

2.Lina Dunham: Author, producer, actor

“Even though it’s probably an unpopular opinion right now, she’s one of my favorites. She invented ‘Girls;’ that show says ‘women are just like men.’ For a lot of chicks that didn’t want to talk about it — and they don’t have to — it’s pretty cool that there’s a show that’s like, ‘women: they’re just like men.’ There’s a lot of misconceptions about what women are in the world. They’re put into subcategories. Of course they do that with men, too, but girls they’re even more stigmatized.”

3.Abi Jackson and Llana Glazer: Writers/actors in “Broad City”

“It’s like Lina Dunham, but with less graphic sex. It’s more like it’s saying that women, especially women in metropolis cities, are pretty much like dudes. They have a sex drive; they get education; they’re not helpless. They don’t need help doing special problem solving. It challenges everything that old-ass psychology from the sixties said about women.”

4.Amy Schumer: Producer, writer, actor, comedian

“She’s like, ‘I’m going to show you what you guys don’t want to talk about that pertains to the female.’ There’s a really famous birth control skit — it’s really viral on Tumblr, because people realize that this is happening. She has to go through a bunch of shit to get birth-control, and then they’re like ‘no refills.’ She has to go through all of it again. The doctor says ‘Enjoy your birth control.’ At the end it says, ‘finally, ask yourself why you have sex for fun.’ Then, a little boy comes up and buys a gun from the pharmacist and the pharmacist just gives it to him and says, ‘Remember, that’s your right!’”

5.Brooke Candy: Rapper

“She’s the one that made the song to take the word ‘slut’ back for the ladies. She says ‘Slut is now a compliment: a sexy-ass female who’s running shit and confident; a lady who on top of it.’ She says people should do what they want. She’s against the old, tightwad, anal-retentive men who are trying to make decisions about the masses that they are probably never going to meet personally. So why do we care?”

Kevin Haaf is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo.