Being a Lobo: The best and the worst career options

Waiting to declare a major? Thinking the one you picked may not be for you?

Career Cast, a website that ranks jobs nationally and helps graduates find jobs, recently released its list of the best and worst jobs of 2015. The rankings were based on career growth, stress associated with the profession, job demand, work environment and annual income.

Here are the five best jobs you can get with a degree from UNM:

1.Actuary

Average annual salary: $94,209

Required degree: Mathematics

If you’re interested in analyzing the financial risks of a business decision, a career in the actuary field might be for you.

CareerCast.com ranked actuary as the top job among 200 different professions.

2.Audiology

Average annual salary: $71,133

Required degree: Speech and Hearing Pathology

Audiologists spend their days identifying, diagnosing and treating problems in the ear.

CareerCast.com ranked audiology as the second-best profession in the country.

3.Mathematician

Average annual salary: $102, 182

Required degree: Mathematics

If staring down complex equations sounds like a fun way to spend your day, check out the career opportunities for mathematicians — the range of job types and fields is nearly endless.

According to CareerCast.com, mathematician is the third-best profession in the United States.

4.Statisticians

Average annual salary: $79,191

Required degree: Statistics

If you like math, but prefer to analyze data rather than equations, look into statistics. It, too, is a field with nearly limitless possibilities.

CareerCast.com ranked statistician as the profession with the least stress and the largest returns.

If you’re interested in medicine, but don’t want to deal with patients, biomedical engineering is the place to be. These professionals design interventions for a wide range of health-related problems without having to know a thing about bedside manners.

CareerCast.com ranked this profession fifth on the list of top 200 jobs for 2015.

5.Biomedical Engineer

Average annual salary: $89, 165

Required degree: Chemical Engineering, bioengineering concentration

If you're worried you might have chosen a less lucrative, higher stress major, here are the five worst job you can get with a dgree from UNM,

1. Newspaper reporter

Average annual salary: $36,267

Degree: Multimedia journalism

Journalists typically work long hours in a high-paced, high-stress environment. Add in the shrinking market for print news and you’ve got a recipe for the worst job on careercast’s list of 200 jobs.

2. Broadcaster

Average annual salary: $29,347

Degree: Multimedia journalism

Whether a broadcaster is working in television or radio, the job market is getting smaller by the day while the stress is getting larger. Broadcaster came in at 196.

3. Photojournalist

Average annual salary: $29,627

Degree: Multimedia journalism

In this case, careercast considered photojournalists to be anyone who captured news with either photos or video. Photojournalists came in just one spot above broadcasters.

4. Advertising salesperson

Average annual salary: $46, 348

Degree: Business, marketing concentration

Those who sell advertising for print, television or radio are feeling the hurt as well. While it’s rated as a low-stress environment, there’s no growth in the field. Careercast ranked this profession at number 184.

5. Emergency Medical Technicians

Average annual salary: $31,175

Degree: Emergency medical services

A career as an EMT seems to rank low only because of the nature of the job: being a first responder to all sorts of horrible events. Even with that in mind, EMT ranked well above the others on this list, coming in at 173.

Sayyed Shah is the news editor at the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @mianfawadshah. Jyllian Roach is the editor-in-chief at the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at editorinchief@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Jyllian_R.