Men's soccer: Lobos top CSUN in physical OT game

Junior midfielder Christopher Wehan once again came to the rescue scoring his fifth goal of the season, giving the UNM Lobos (2-1-1) a 1-0 overtime win against the Cal State Northridge Matadors (1-3-0).

This was an even game when it came to shots, at least on paper. CSUN collected a total of 10, while the Lobos collected nine. Each team managed three shots on goal.

"The statistics might be a bit misleading," said UNM head coach Jeremy Fishbein. "They didn't really have any good chances. It was a really good defensive effort. Our guys were disciplined, and we didn't give up many fouls."

Two minutes in, a foul on CSUN gave Wehan the first opportunity of the match. But the ball went too wide on the right side.

For the next few minutes, most of the play happened in the midfield area.

CSUN began attacking 15 minutes in, with a shot by sophomore midfielder/forward Steven Manios. The shot was blocked, but he took another one only a few seconds later. This one was saved by Lobo keeper Jason Beaulieu.

Both teams got a few chances but the first half ended scoreless.

Two minutes into the second half, another foul was committed, but this time against New Mexico. Freshman midfielder Bradley Mulvey took the shot for the Matadors, but he sent it too wide.

Junior forward Niko Hansen had a couple of chances in the 56th minute, but the Matador's keeper, Adam Hobbs, made the save both times.

Overtime was when things got really interesting.

Three minutes in, CSUN went down to 10 men after senior defender Tanner Snedigar was given his second yellow card of the match, the first one during the 77th minute.

In the 96th minute, a foul was called on CSUN and senior defender Trevor Morley received a yellow card. The Lobos were awarded a penalty kick. Wehan took it, and gave his team the only goal they needed.

"We were fortunate to get that call,"Fishbein said. "But Niko beat three guys to draw the foul. He did really well, and Wehan confidently put it away.”

This was a physical game. CSUN collected a total of 16 fouls, while the Lobos collected eight.

The referee gave five yellow cards, four for CSUN and one for the Lobos. The one for the New Mexico was given to Wehan because of a throw in interference.

The Lobos will remain in California this weekend to take on the Loyola Marymount Lions (5-0-0) on Sunday at 4 p.m..

Isabel Gonzalez is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on twitter @cisabelg.