Late match ends in a draw for Lobos at Marshall

The UNM men’s soccer team and the Marshall Thundering Herd battled through 110 minutes in a match that ended with a 1-1 draw Friday night.

The Lobos (7-4-3, 1-3-1) were fresh off their first Conference USA win of the season after defeating UAB 3-2 last Sunday night. This weekend, they were striving for a second win.

The Thundering Herd (4-8-1, 0-5-1) was also anxious to get a victory. The team was on a seven-game losing streak and its hunger for a win clearly showed throughout the game.

In a statement, Lobo head coach Jeremy Fishbein described the result and “tough” and “disappointing,” but he said that, for the most part, his team did a lot of things right.

"We missed a couple very good chances, and we had a bad giveaway that led to their goal, but we came back and played pretty well," he said in the same statement.

Marshall’s junior forward Rimario Gordon took the first shot of the match during the ninth minute, but Lobo goalkeeper Jason Beaulieu made the save.

The Lobos first shot came from junior midfielder Chris Wehan in the 13th minute. This ball went too high.

Both Gordon and Wehan went on to prove their scoring skills later in the match. Less than a minute into the second half, a mistake in midfield allowed Gordon to score a goal with a chip shot from 14 yards out. This was his fourth goal of the season.

The Lobos came back from their mistake in the 59th minute when Wehan, assisted by sophomore forward Sam Gleadle, scored his tenth goal of the season.

Marshall pressured during the last few minutes of regulation time, but Beaulieu and the rest of the Lobo defense held strong and managed to keep the score 1-1.

Regulation time ended with Marshall leading 14-11 in shots and 5-3 in corner kicks.

New Mexico dominated offensively during overtime. The Lobos recorded four shots and four corner kicks while the Herd recorded neither.

Just two and a half minutes into the first period, junior forward Niko Hansen sent a shot slightly too high and barely missed the Marshall net.

In the 99th minute, Wehan took a shot that was blocked by the Herd defense. Two corner kicks followed this play. The last one lead to junior midfielder Josh Goss attempting a shot that went too wide.

Two minutes before the match was over, the Lobos once again had back-to-back corner kicks. Midfielder Matt Dorsey attempted to send the ball to the right corner of the Marshall net, but the Thundering Herd defense held strong and cleared his shot.

Isabel Gonzalez is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @cisabelg.