Red Shirt Sophomore quarterback Lamar Jordan drives through CSU's defense at University Stadium Saturday afternoon. The Lobos lost against CSU 28-21. 

Football: Davie sticks with Jordan down the stretch

The weight of New Mexico’s Mountain West title dreams rested on the shoulder pads of redshirt sophomore quarterback Lamar Jordan late in Saturday’s 28-21 loss to Colorado State.

It was fourth down and 5 on the CSU 49, and UNM trailed by seven as Jordan dropped back to pass, running the Lobos’ two-minute offense. The scrambling New Mexico signal caller stepped up in the pocket and took off toward the first down sticks on the left side of the gridiron, easily picking up the first down and stopping the clock in the process.

The gutsy play by coach Bob Davie’s starting quarterback brought some life to the New Mexico bench as UNM was well within CSU territory and threatening to tie the game up.

The following play, Jordan was forced to scramble again, retreating to evade the CSU pressure, but this time to no avail. Jordan wound up taking a sack, forcing UNM (6-5, 4-3 MW) into an uncomfortable second-and-25.

“You just can’t envision that you’re going to get sacked for negative 15 yards,” Davie said.

CSU then proceeded to stop the clock and talk over the team’s prevent defense. Going against Davie’s advice to remain calm and observe the field, Jordan dropped back to pass, lofting up the game-ending interception and ending UNM’s shot at a title bid.

“Then it’s second-and-25 and I said, ‘listen, we’ve got three downs to make 25 yards. Whatever you do, don’t panic and throw it into coveraget’” Davie said. “And he steps up and throws it into coverage, and they win the game.”

Jordan entered the contest against the Rams with just two interceptions all season. However, at the end the day, Jordan would wind up with three picks against the CSU defense.

For Jordan’s second pick of the game, he had tight end Reece White wide open running up the seams for a sure six points. However, Jordan’s ball was well underthrown — right into the arms of CSU defender Kevin Davis.

Despite Jordan’s shaky day throwing the ball, Davie said he didn’t give a second thought to sending out his starting quarterback for the final drive of the game, leaving Austin Apodaca on the bench.

“I just felt like Lamar was hot,” Davie said. “I felt like Lamar was playing good and I felt the combination of them playing some man-to-man and Lamar being able to take off and run ... I thought it was Lamar’s game.”

Part of the reason Davie said he left his hard-throwing quarterback on the sideline was in part due to the coverage Colorado State (6-5, 4-3 MW) was playing. He said that even inside two minutes, UNM was not ready to abandon the running game.

“There was still that element of run in there. Not necessarily the option piece of it, but the element of him taking off and running,” Davie said. “I don’t second guess Lamar playing the game out at all.”

White said he was pleased at some of the things UNM’s offense was able to do during the game, despite coming up short at the end. He said there is no question that the offense is able to get behind whichever quarterback is leading the huddle.

“Austin is maybe a little bit more comfortable in the spread, but Lamar may be a little bit more comfortable in the play action,” White said. “Both guys are completely capable of running the offense, so whoever is out there, we’re behind them.”

Apodaca finished 0 for 1 on the day, while Jordan concluded his day with 58 yards on 4 of 9 passing along with 23 rushes for 121 yards.

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at assistantsports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@Liam_CE.