Junior forward Niko Hansen fights for the ball against a Charlotte player at the UNM Soccer Complex Tuesday, Oct. 27. The Lobos tied with Florida International this past weekend and play Florida National Friday, Nov. 6 at 7 p.m..

Men's soccer: Lobos end physical battle in draw against FIU

The UNM men’s soccer team gained another Conference USA point after battling to a scoreless draw with Florida International on Saturday night.

FIU (9-5-1, 3-3-1) had a tight hold on the ball and kept the New Mexico defense on its toes. The Panthers outshot the Lobos 21-5 and led 10-4 in corner kicks.

It was also a very physical game, with a total of 30 fouls and five yellow cards distributed. FIU contributed 19 fouls and four yellow cards.

UNM head coach Jeremy Fishbein described the environment as “tough,” but said he thought his team was able to create some chances.

“I’m really proud of our effort,” he said in a statement. “I’m disappointed with the result for the guys’ sake, but we battled and were mature. I’m not happy (with a tie), but I’m also very focused on the positives.”

The first 15 minutes of the match saw three shots, all coming from FIU. But in the 20th minute the Lobos began creating their own chances.

Junior midfielder Josh Goss sent a free kick that bounced at the edge of the six-yard box and then off the cross bar. A minute later, Goss had another chance with a free kick from about 25 yards out, but sent the ball too high.

In the 24th minute FIU regained the ball. Sophomore midfielder Brad Fountain took a shot at the Lobo net, but goalkeeper Jason Beaulieu was able to make the save.

This lead to a corner kick taken by FIU midfielder Ismael Longo. His teammate, Patrick Lopez, forced Beaulieu into another save. A second corner kick followed, but nothing came of it.

The first half ended with FIU leading 9-2 in shots and 5-1 in corner kicks.

The Panthers began their attacks early in the second half. Just four minutes in they took two shots, both blocked by the New Mexico defense.

In the 51st minute, Lobo midfielder Francesco Casucci took the one shot that FIU keeper Arthur Clapot would be forced to save during the entire night.

Just four minutes before regulation time was over, FIU’s Santiago Patino had a good chance at scoring a goal for his team, but Beaulieu kept the Lobos alive by making one of his biggest saves of the night.

The regular 90 minutes ended with the Panthers leading 15-5 in shots and 9-3 in corner kicks.

During overtime, the Lobos were not able to record a single shot, but FIU recorded six. Three of these were on goal. By the end of the match Beaulieu had made a total of eight saves.

Fishbein said he was happy with the way the Lobos handled the game defensively on Saturday, but that the team as a whole still has room for improvement.

“We’re a good team and we continue to gain maturity,” Fishbein said in the release. “Our Achilles’ heel this season has just been our inability to finish our chances.”

The Lobos (7-4-4, 1-3-2) remain in seventh place in C-USA. There’s one more conference match remaining for New Mexico, and if the Lobos can pull off the win they could be guaranteed a spot in this year’s championship.

The Lobos will host Florida Atlantic on Friday at 7:00 p.m. at the UNM Soccer Complex.

Isabel Gonzalez is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @cisabelg.