Sophomore guard Laneah Bryan prepares to shoot against a New Mexico State player at WisePies Arena Sunday afternoon.  The Lobos lost to the Aggies 52-47

Sophomore guard Laneah Bryan prepares to shoot against a New Mexico State player at WisePies Arena Sunday afternoon. The Lobos lost to the Aggies 52-47

Women's Basketball: Lobos' second half collapse gives Aggies season sweep

New Mexico’s 52-47 loss to New Mexico State was defined by both head coaches as a game of toughness.

For NMSU, a resilient effort in a physical game. For UNM, a complete mental collapse down the stretch in the final nonconference game of the season.

“We just had no toughness today. This is always a tough game,” Sanchez said. “It’s just probably one of the most disappointing losses I’ve been associated with... When your team lacks toughness, that’s hard to swallow as a coach.”

Neither team came down the WisePies Arena ramp with an immediate hot hand. However that hand was eventually given to the Lobos toward the end of the first quarter.

Even at the start of the second quarter, the Lobos rolled to a big point advantage opening the game 23-8. From there, New Mexico began to crumble.

Down 28-15, NMSU went on an tear after facing a big hole to climb out of and the Aggies did so with authority. With 2:23 to the half, UNM didn't hit another shot from the field until the start of the fourth quarter.

The 12 minutes, 37 seconds without a bucket gave NMSU ample time to forge ahead on a 22-0 run. The Aggies’ full court press sparked an offense that only shot 35 percent from the field.

“They’re tough kids that can be challenged and pushed really really hard,” NMSU head coach Mark Trakh said. “That showed tonight. It showed that they are learning some things and they’re good kids.”

Sanchez said she wasn’t expecting NMSU to roll over after trailing by a big margin in the first half. She declared the Aggies as being a team of runs, but Sanchez said she didn’t expect her team have an utter meltdown down the course of the game in which they led by 15.

“The more confidence they got, the more we seemed to back off, it seemed like to me,” Sanchez said. “As a team, we just lacked toughness.”

During New Mexico’s cold stretch, the team combined to shoot 0-21 while the Aggies enjoyed their 22-point shift. Sanchez said the team was moving away from playing together and focusing more on individual play.

If it weren’t for sophomore Jayda Bovero, the game would not have been as close as it was in the fourth quarter crunch time. Bovero hit a 3-pointer to bring the game within two possessions, a 45-41, with 3:21 left in the game.

Bovero ended up with a career-high nine points while snatching six boards and not committing a single turnover in 17 minutes.

“I was getting rebounds and that’s how I fuel my offense by getting rebounds,” Bovero said. “I was honestly just trying to do everything in my power to help us stay within the game and if not get ahead.”

Bovero’s nine points was second only to freshman Jaisa Nunn’s 12-point night for the team-high in scoring. Nunn also grabbed four boards and forced NMSU into foul trouble hitting 6 of her seven free throws.

The freshman center said she was not surprised in the team’s need for her to be a spark of energy off the bench. She has proved she can do it night in and night out averaging 8.5 points a night off the UNM bench in her first year at the collegiate level.

“If you’re good, you’re good,” Nunn said. “It doesn’t matter how old you are as long as you bring it to them, that’s all you’ve got to do.”

Although Nunn’s reliable effort was to no avail for New Mexico, NMSU’s head coach is thrilled to provide some spark to the in-state competition. For the first time since 1995, UNM was swept by the Aggies, something coach Trakh said has reignited the rivalry.

“At least it’s turned and it’s competitive and now we can generate interest in it being a rivalry game in the state of New Mexico,” Trakh said. “Not just a granted two 'Ws' for New Mexico as it has in the past.”

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on twitter @Liam_CE.