Freshman guard Jannon Otto tries to recover the ball from a Boise State player Saturday, Jan. 30, 2016 at WisePies Arena. The Lobos will play UNLV this Wednesday at 8 p.m..

Women's Basketball: Getting Chavez back could add fuel to New Mexico's late push

One player dominated in head coach Yvonne Sanchez’s press conference on Monday. That player was senior forward Alexa Chavez.

Chavez - who started the season plagued by a foot injury - re-injured the foot, and has been watching her team from the sidelines for the majority of conference play. Although Sanchez said Chavez, one of the major leaders on the team, will dress for UNM’s meeting with UNLV, the coach will be under a watchful eye in her return to play.

“The biggest thing looking back from November to February was that we’ve missed her toughness and we’ve missed her leadership…” Sanchez said. “Her defense is just absolutely incredible. We’ve really missed that in the post.”

Chavez’s comeback day to re-evaluate the foot has been set for Feb. 1, according to Sanchez. After throwing Chavez back out to the thick of practice, Sanchez said believes her forward is ready for action after seeing how the forward reacted to her first practice back on Monday.

“It’s perfect timing for the rest of the season,” Sanchez said. “UNLV (and) San Diego State coming in, those are two physically tough teams.”

However, the Lobos aren’t the only ones who are getting some fire power back as UNLV (12-8, 5-4 MW) is getting healthy down low in the paint as well.

“They got their big kid back in Aley Rohde,” Sanchez said. “She makes a difference, she really, really does.”

Rohde has missed five games due to an injury of her own.

Neither post player was available during UNM’s 67-53 victory over the Lady Rebels on Jan. 13. Sanchez said, following New Mexico’s home victory during the last meeting, that she considers this to be one the Lobos’ best in-conference rivalries.

Expect Wednesday night’s matchup to be no different with key physical battles throughout the contest, Sanchez said. This time around, UNM (11-8, 4-4 MW) doesn’t have the luxury of playing at WisePies Arena, where the Lobos have gone 7-4.

“They’re comfortable playing in Cox Pavilion,” Sanchez said. “That’s a unique place to play.”

New Mexico is coming off of a disappointing 81-60 loss in the last showing against Boise State. UNM got off to a slow start in Saturday’s game, and was never able to recover from the deep hole the team found itself in.

However, despite the one-sided affair, Sanchez said she liked the fight in her club and expects her team to grow from the blowout loss.

“There’s always going to be a fight in these kids,” Sanchez said. “Regardless of what happens, they’re not going to quit on anything.”

If the Lobos want to climb out from their current sixth-place spot, Sanchez said her group is going to have to pick up tough contests on the road. If UNM beats UNLV, the two teams will be tied, but the Lobos will own the tie-breaker as the heat of conference is well under way.

“We’ve dropped some at home and we have to go pick those up on the road,” Sanchez said. “This is a good opportunity to go get one on the road.”

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers volleyball, women’s basketball, baseball, and beach volleyball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.