Junior first baseman Jack Zoellner reaches down to catch a low ball at the Lobo's first practice at the Santa Anna Star Field. The Lobos 

Baseball: Lobos take down Hawai'i in historic fashion

New Mexico hadn’t won a series in Hawaii in over 20 years.

That streak came to a halt during UNM’s 7-1 victory over the Rainbow Warriors on Monday. The victory was the final in a four game stint against Hawaii as the Lobos improved to 3-1 to begin their season.

The four game series was highlighted by an 18-0 route on Sunday. The loss was the worst in Rainbow Warrior program history.

Though the Lobo offense may have stolen the show in Sunday’s contest, redshirt senior Colton Thompson certainly didn’t need all the noise from UNM’s bats. Thomson through a two-hit shutout gem in just six innings against to garner his first win of the 2016 season.

The offense didn’t slow down in the final game of the series, nor did the Lobo pitching staff. Sophomore James Harrington threw quite a game of his own, holding Hawai’i to just one run over seven innings.

“Our starting pitching was off the charts all four games,” head coach Ray Birmingham said in Monday’s release. “It was big time. All four starters did their job and James was fantastic tonight.”

Though UNM’s head coach marveled at the pitching, the Lobo bats could not be contained by the Rainbow Warriors pitching.

Junior Jack Zoellner hit for a .500 average in the season, collecting 14 total bases, scored six times, and tallied six RBI’s in the series.

Sophomore catcher Scottie Graham only started in two of the four games, but hit the most runs batted in of any player on the weekend. In just seven at bats, the sophomore grabbed three hits and 6 RBI’s to lead the charge in UNM’s big weekend.

Up next for New Mexico is the home opener on Friday against Wichita State at 6 p.m.

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He covers volleyball, women’s basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.