Junior outfielder Andre Vigil warms up to bat at the Lobos’ first practice at Santa Ana Star Field. The Lobos will play their first home game Friday at 6 p.m. against Wichita State after going 3-1 in their first series of the season at Hawai’i.

Baseball: New Mexico shifts focus from Aloha State to home opener

A short week to get readjusted to the Land of Enchantment is in store for New Mexico as the team prepares for its home opener against Wichita State this weekend.

The Lobos (3-1) took its first series in Hawaii since 1985 on Monday, but the players are still reeling from jet lag after arriving back in Albuquerque on Tuesday.

“It’s a short week, and we’ve got some things to work on. That’s the hard part,” head coach Ray Birmingham said before Wednesday’s practice.

Lobo first baseman Jack Zoellner was on a tear hitting out of the cleanup spot for UNM. The number four hitter started all four games, hitting .500, collecting seven walks, four RBIs and knocking one out of the park.

“He bought in to not swinging out of his keister,” Birmingham said. “He was trying to hit everything out of the yard.”

Zoellner said his new approach to the plate led to his success at the plate in Hawaii, and he doesn’t plan on changing it anytime soon.

“Before the series I was focusing on staying short to the ball, just flipping it over the infield,” Zoellner said. “That approach for me ended up being more so I’m just going to stick with it this season.”

For Zoellner, the upcoming series against Wichita State may not be revenge, but last year’s series sweep has definitely left a bad taste in his mouth, the junior said.

“Last year they swept us three games at their yard,” Zoellner said. “Now we’re looking to sweep them three games at our yard.”

Wichita State (2-1) is coming off a Sunday afternoon loss to Northern Colorado, in its first series of action.

Birmingham said he liked what he saw out of his starting rotation in Hawaii, but the bullpen was a little shaky, the head coach said.

“We just need to play good baseball,” Birmingham said. “The only glitch I saw was that we had a couple of guys not do so bueno in the back end of the game.”

Though the Lobos hadn’t won a series in Hawaii in over 30 years, Birmingham said the competition is only going to get better, which begins in UNM’s home opener. The head coach said Wichita State is “no joke.”

Another highlight on the offensive side for the Lobos over the weekend was starting shortstop Dalton Bowers. Birmingham said New Mexico has high hopes for the local senior.

He said if Bowers continues to hit the way he does, he will be the best shortstop in the nation.

Though it is hard to judge the long baseball season on the first series of the year, Birmingham said his team has a good shot to do some damage in the conference, and further in the postseason.

“We’re only going to get better. I think this team has a chance,” Birmingham said. “Obviously most people think we’re going to win it. I think if everyone stays healthy, we’ve got a chance to win conference and a chance to do well in the NCAAs.”

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He covers volleyball, women’s basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.