Sophomore Eastyn Baleto (left) and junior Julia Warren look up for a high ball during a spring 2015 game. The Lobos will play Grand Canyon University and San Jose State this upcoming Sunday in Phoenix, Arizona.

Beach Volleyball: Lobos build on last season

Heading into just the second tournament of the season, New Mexico already has as many wins as they did all of last season.

In 14 matches during UNM’s inaugural season, the Lobos collected a 3-11 record against tough opponents. Head coach Jeff Nelson said he saw it as a growing experience to start the program off with a competitive edge.

“I feel pretty good about what we’re doing,” Nelson said. “I think we’re a different team this year in that we know of what more to expect.”

In just the first five matches, the Lobos have already jumped to a 3-2 record, only losing to ranked opponents. Even then, the Lobos went toe-to-toe with No. 17 South Carolina, falling in a 3-2 match with the Gamecocks.

“Overall, it was a great weekend,” Nelson said. “We beat two Pac-12 schools, and all of these schools have a pretty big head start on us too.”

Part of what led to New Mexico’s success was the unblemished play from Eastyn Baleto and Marisa Doran.

The pair has won each of the five games they have played in during the early going of the season.

“It helps with confidence in the team and it just takes pressure off of our other teammates,” Baleto said. “They know that they don’t have to feel that pressure when they’re going into their game already.”

Baleto and Doran set the tone for the weekend on court for each of the five matches.

“I’m just looking to improve with Marisa from our last weekend and hopefully keep our streak up,” Baleto said.

The entire squad wants to surpass last season’s three win mark by a long shot, she said, and the squad wants to do it against some of the toughest competition in the nation.

The Lobos will get their shot at some more intense matches this weekend, highlighted by a No. 15 Grand Canyon team.

Nelson said GCU (4-1) has one of the best duos in the country, comprised of Mackenzie Phelps and Shannon Dugan.

“It’s tough to get a point in the one spot against them, but I think everything else is up for grabs,” Nelson said. “Their number one duo is as good as any.”

Nelson said not many teams have encountered a blocker like Cassie House, who uses her 6-feet-two-inch frame and athleticism to her advantage. He said her size may be able to disrupt some consistency from the Antelopes’ premier team.

After UNM takes on a double-header against the Antelopes and a familiar foe on the indoor court in San Jose State, the Lobos will cross the Arizona boarder to finish their four-game trip to California.

In California, New Mexico will take on Irvine Valley College in addition to Miracosta College. The game will be played on Huntington Beach, a feat that will be new for the UNM program.

“Even though it’s beach volleyball, this will be the first time we’ve been on a real beach,” Nelson said. “There’s really deep sand, and there’s ocean breezes, some new elements to contend with for sure.”

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers volleyball, women’s basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@Liam_CE.