Junior Devanne Sours jumps to the net to block an off speed shot by a New Mexico State player on Saturday, March 19, 2016 at Luck 66 Bowl’s sand volleyball courts. The Lobos will compete in the Wildcat Spring Challenge in Tucson, Arizona this weekend.

Beach Volleyball: Lobos look to build on recent tear

Riding a seven-game winning-streak, the Lobos will take to the road in Arizona in hopes to continue a triumphant second year for UNM's beach volleyball program.

After playing two matches in Tempe and Phoenix, Arizona, UNM will play three more games in Tucson. The squad is going to play against three opponents – Cal State Northridge and No. 7 Arizona on Friday, followed by a Saturday matchup against Cal State Bakersfield.

For the first time in the blossoming program, UNM's game against Arizona on Friday will be televised on the Pac-12 network. The opening serve in Friday’s matchup against the Wildcats is scheduled for a 4 p.m. start.

"Having the match on the Pac-12 Network makes it even more fun," UNM head coach Jeff Nelson said on Wednesday. "It's great for us for so many reasons. It's great for recruiting, and it's great for visibility."

The Lobos faced off against Arizona a season ago, but it was a radically different club. Not only has the team ripped off seven-straight victories, but New Mexico also owns a 10-3 record, a flip from last year’s shortened 3-11 season.

"I think they're playing more and more confident with each match, but we have to be careful not to be overconfident," Nelson said. "But I think they're improving and playing more confident … All we can look to do is build and continue with that going into this weekend. This is probably our toughest weekend yet."

The Lobos are led by the No. 1 duo of Cassie House and Ashley Kelsey. Having changed partners mid-year, the two have not showed signs of lack of rapport. Kelsey and House have put together a 5-3 record on the premier court.

While the two own the first court for UNM, Nelson has said all season that the depth of his team is something he said differs from a lot of teams across the nation.

Highlighting the depth chart has to be court four where Eastyn Baleto and Marisa Doran roam. The two have received a point for UNM in every single match in the 2016 season, going 13-0 to start matches off with and advantage, before the odd numbered courts face off.

Baleto and Doran have both said winning in one of the first two courts to start can only help the team’s confidence, and the pair looks to do the same this weekend in Arizona.

"I like the pairs right now," Nelson said. "We have some pairs that are really comfortable right now and hopefully they can continue to improve together."

New Mexico’s only three losses of the season have come against ranked opponents, dropping 2-3 to  No. 17 South Carolina, 1-4 against No. 6 Florida State and stumbling 1-4 to No. 10 Grand Canyon University.

New Mexico has the ability to overturn its fortunes against top-20 clubs, and do so on a publically televised event.

"I think we're going to have three really challenging matches," Nelson said. "Obviously, Arizona is ranked seventh and they're strong. We played them last year and they're a really good program. I think it will make for an exciting weekend."

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers volleyball, women’s basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.