Junior catcher Christ Devito bats against a San Diego State pitcher Saturday afternoon. The Lobos beat the Aztecs 13-7. 

Baseball: Monster second inning gives UNM series over Aztecs

Big innings have paved the way for New Mexico the majority of the season.

While sometimes it takes the offense a couple trips through the order to get warmed up, that was not the case in Saturday afternoon’s slugfest to take the series from San Diego State.

For the Lobos, it was the two through five hitters that wreaked havoc on SDSU starter Chris Collins.

The middle of the order collected 10 of UNM's 18 hits. The four hitters also accounted for 11 of the Lobos' 13 RBIs on the day. 

It was all highlighted by senior Jared Holley's perfect 4-for-4 performance.

UNM started off with a two-run first inning thanks to a two-RBI Carl Stajduhar single scoring both junior DH Chris DeVito and second baseman Holley.

SDSU would be quick to respond with an RBI double from Tyler Adkison to cut the UNM lead down 2-1.

New Mexico (29-12, 16-4 MW) wasted little time in the bottom half of the inning batting around to put an eight-spot on the scoreboard advancing the lead to a comfortable 10-2 advantage.

The cushion was more than enough for sophomore righty Tyler Stevens, who improved to 6-2 on the season. The Colorado native out of Fort Collins by no means needed to have his best stuff on the mound, but limited the Aztecs to four runs in 6.2 innings allowing eight hits and two walks while fanned three batters.

Redshirt junior Matt Villalobos was able to get some work in at the middle-relief spot. After starting the season well in the bullpen and not allowing a single run in his first five appearances, the righty has struggled as of late from the mound.

In his past three appearances, including Saturday’s victory, he has allowed seven runs in 4.1 innings of work. In 1.1 innings on Saturday afternoon, the Rio Rancho native allowed three runs, coming off a two-RBI single and a homer in the eighth inning.

Nonetheless, the offense's strong showing allowed for Villalobos to have breathing room despite giving up some runs. UNM still had plenty of leeway with a 13-4 lead heading into the eighth inning.

After the three-run eighth, electrifying Francisco Fernandez was able to close out the ballgame with an 11-pitch ninth inning, retiring all six batters he faced.

The Lobos will face off against SDSU (11-25, 4-10 MW) on Sunday searching for the sweep. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m.

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers volleyball, women’s basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.