Preview: Friday Night Live promises welcoming atmosphere for all students

The Associated Students of the University of New Mexico are bringing back the 12th annual Friday Night Live, that will be taking place this Friday, Aug. 17, in the Student Union Building.

“We’re throwing the biggest free fun party on campus and it’s a great way to kick off the Fall semester for new and returning students alike,” said Student Activities Center Advisor Andrea Marquez. “Students will meet new friends, get to do lots of free activities, take a photo strip home to remember it, and begin getting connected to campus life at UNM.”

This year’s Friday Night Live with start at 8:00 p.m. and last until 11:00 p.m. Students will be able to sing in karaoke, get henna tattoos, participate in casino games, compete in laser tag and there will be free food served every half hour. Some UNM student organizations will have tables for students who want to find ways to be involved.

Becka Myers, president of ASUNM, said that she has had nothing but great experiences at the annual, Friday Night Live.

“Friday Night Live is a way to get people excited about the school year, and show what resources we have on campus,” Myers said. “There will be fun activities for anyone from all interests. Whether you want to be a karaoke star, just want to get fondue or just talk to people.”

Friday Night Live is a way for new roommates from the residence halls to get to know each other, or for old friends who haven’t seen each other all summer to have some fun together and catch up, Marquez said.

“It is a way for UNM students to create memories. There is such a buzz of excitement and fun energy in the air in August and this event really captures that,” she said.

UNM Athletics will also be at the event, and will be distributing football tickets for students to claim for the upcoming season.

“(Friday Night Live) is a tradition we have been doing for several years, and it gets better each year and more fun. It reinforces the excitement that you are a proud lobo at the University of New Mexico,” Myers said.

Macey Rose is a freelance reporter with the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted by email at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @maceyrae9.