CNM to host Blockchain event in Albuquerque

BlockFiesta!, Albuquerque’s first ever blockchain conference, is a Central New Mexico co-sponsored event taking place on Saturday Oct. 13.

Blockchain is an online, decentralized ledger of transactions associated largely with cryptocurrencies. Essentially, it is a growing list of records using cryptography.

Bill Halverson is the senior technology advisor for CNM Ingenuity, which is hosting the event. He defines it as a world wide ledger that can be verified by everyone.

“Blockchain is advancing rapidly,” Halverson said. “People think it’s just about cryptocurrencies.”

Halverson believes blockchain has the potential for different applications.

“(Blockchain) is going to be the new evolution of the internet,” he said.

Halverson wants BlockFiesta! to be a conference to discuss the evolution of the technology.

“It’s advancing rapidly. More so in third world countries than here,” he said.

Joshua Romero, a University of New Mexico senior, is the founder and CEO of advertising agency Romshua. Romshua marketed the event. Romero said he believes this kind of technology will be more prevalent in the future.

“We think it’s going to be a real big player,” Romero said. He likened it to the beginning of the internet where “it made the world a smaller place.”

He wants the technology to be open to both the Albuquerque business community and to those who want to learn more about the technology.

“(Blockchain) is a beast that needs to be tackled,” Romero said.

Romero said he wants people to come out of the conference with a better understanding of the application and networking opportunities.

“We’re going to have a lot of interesting speakers,” said Timothy Billstrand, UNM senior and business development manager for Romshua. The conference will feature speakers that utilize Blockchain, he said.

According to Romero BlockFiesta! will also included an after-party at the Balloon Fiesta during the evening for a Balloon Glow.

“You’ll get to watch the Balloon Glow and network with people at the conference,” Romero said.

BlockFiesta! will be held at Smith-Brasher Hall, located on CNM main campus, starting at 8 a.m.

Sol Traverso is a freelance news reporter at the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @SolTraversonic.