Drag Bingo teaches LGBTQ history

On Sept. 26, Generation Action hosted a drag bingo night at Winning Coffee as part of Sex Week, a series of events that is held by the group every fall semester.

Funded by Planned Parenthood Votes New Mexico, the advocacy and political arm of Planned Parenthood in the state, Generation Action aims to eradicate the cultural stigma around discussions on reproductive rights and the exploration of sexuality and safe sex.

The group also makes sure to give a voice to victims of sexual assault, with one of their most well-known events being Survivors Stand, formerly called Take Back the Night, held every spring semester at the University of New Mexico.

“It’s an event that’s half about LGBT history and reproductive history, and also trying to empower drag queens to claim that space in Albuquerque,” said the current co-director of Generation Action Isis Lopez.

In addition to sex and reproductive education, Drag Bingo is an event designed to educate students about the LGBT community and to help create a safer and more positive environment for LGBT students at UNM.

It involves trivia about LGBT history and culture, creating a fun and positive environment for students to learn about important events in the community. Prizes provided by Generation Action included two $25 Visa gift cards, a gift card to the local sex shop and education center Self Serve, Planned Parenthood apparel along with a $20 gift card donated by Winning Coffee.

As the name suggests, the event is also about promoting the art of drag as well as the drag community in Albuquerque by creating an opportunity for performances.

Performing at Drag Bingo were local drag queens Zaza Illustria Galore, Anna Delorean and CeCe Knight Jones. Even though they had a small space to work in, all three gave dynamic, high-energy performances throughout the evening that involved upbeat music, dance routines, and multiple outfit changes.

Galore, who is a regular performer in the Albuquerque drag scene as well as a theatre student at UNM, found the event to be a fun and helpful experience for students who are interested in learning more about sex education.

“I think it’s a great, important thing to know about and be educated on,” Galore said. “Everyone needs to practice safe things, and Planned Parenthood is really helpful, and that’s why we need to support them in their endeavors in helping our community and the world beyond.”

As a chartered student group, Generation Action mainly focuses on creating a culture of sex safety and positivity within the UNM student community. Many members of Generation Action also work or volunteer for New Mexico’s Planned Parenthood, in order to help spread their mission beyond the UNM campus.

The events of Sex Week are part of Generation Action’s goal to create a more positive and honest conversation around sex and sexuality among students. The events are held on and around campus and are aimed toward students in order to help them feel more comfortable discussing sex safety and education.

The group aims to create an opportunity to inform students about resources for sex education and sexual health that they may not be aware of so that they are able to make informed decisions when they have questions involving sex or reproductive rights.

This year’s Sex Week fell during a nationwide discussion of abortion and reproductive rights, and Generation Action took advantage of Drag Bingo to promote a petition to protect the right to safe abortions in New Mexico.

Veronica Apodaca is a culture writer for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at @veeapodaca on Twitter.