A performer in the University of New Mexico Queer Student Alliance Drag Show.

Queer Student Alliance hosts annual drag show

The 10th annual Queer Student Alliance (QSA) Drag Show took place in the Student Union Building Saturday evening. This year’s theme was dubbed “Space Glamp” and featured both amateur and professional drag performers.

“It’s like glamorous camping – boujee camping ,” said QSA co-chair Jude Ripley. “Instead of a tent and a campfire you have heated tents and an RV.”

Ripley said the original theme was supposed to be “extra-terrestrial” but changed it to avoid repeating the same theme as New Mexico Pride.

The SUB ballroom was decorated with rainbow colored blow-up aliens and silver tinsel. Many of the performers played with the theme by wearing galaxy print and extra-terrestrial costumes.

Ripley said this is her first year being an officer for the QSA alongside many other new members.

“We’re all having to learn the ropes and figure out how to do things,” Ripley said. “This event – we had no idea how to plan it and we were asking around and trying to figure everything out but we did it. We’re here and I’m very grateful of all of our volunteers.”

This year’s amateur drag competition had two contestants. University of New Mexico student Luis-Angel Lujan performed as a drag queen, taking on the name, Silvia A La Ve Roxxx. This was his first time performing in the QSA drag show.

Lujan strutted up and down the stage during his performance wearing a long blonde wig and navy blue evening gown. He said that recently he has been channeling Queen singer Freddie Mercury during his performances. Lujan said he also likes to channel his grandmothers and his mother.

“I channel them because they’re part of me just as much as everybody else,” Lujan said.

It is customary to show drag performers appreciation during their performances by walking up to the stage to offer cash tips. Lujan’s mother tipped him during his performance and he said that the experience was special to him. He accepted the tip by bending down to kiss her hand during his number.

“I knew that my mom supported me but having that additional support meant the world to me,” Lujan said. “My mom is the queen of my life.”

As a music education major Lujan is used to performing in many different settings as a violist. He said he enjoys drag because it lets him perform as himself in a different way.

“Drag is that outlet that allows me to be weird and queer,” Lujan said. “I think it’s a little difficult to be queer in the classical music scene.”

Both amateur contestants won prizes at the end of the night. Lujan received an extravagant looking crown and his competitor, drag king Carson Williams, a regal scepter.

Newly crowned Lujan said he was thankful to be surrounded with people that accept him for who he is and emphasized the resources on campus for queer individuals.

“If you’re still in the closet, if you’re still trying to figure yourself out just know that there’s a whole community waiting for you to welcome you with open arms,” Lujan said.

Justine Lopez is a culture reporter at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @justine_lopez95.