Photo courtesy of Rocket Kitchen ABQ’s Facebook page.

Rocket Kitchen opens location near UNM

Students at the University of New Mexico will have another option for lunch come the Spring 2019 semester.

Rocket Kitchen plans to open a second location in the Bricklight District on Harvard Drive and Central Boulevard, serving turkey burgers, street tacos and protein waffles.

Owner and founder of Rocket Kitchen, Carlo Dominguez, said his goal was to reinvent the fast food industry.

“I thought about this concept over 10 years ago,” Dominguez said. “I got serious about it five years ago and here we are now.”

He said he plans to open between four and six locations in Albuquerque before 2024. By then, Dominguez said he wants to start moving into the Phoenix market and “evolve the concept for drive thru.”

Dominguez said he did not want to disclose how many people he was looking to hire. However, a sign posted in the window of the new location said the business was looking to hire staff for customer service.

According to Dominguez Rocket Kitchen opened its first location in the Northeast Heights off of San Pedro Drive about a year ago. He said his current focus is getting the new location up and running.

On their menu, Rocket Kitchen’s prices range from $7.25 French Toaststix, to $10.75 Fajitas.

Dominguez said he hopes to have the new location in the Bricklight District open within the next two weeks.

Bricklight has seen some turnover in recent months. Before Rocket Kitchen, that space was occupied by Moktezu-Mart Market. Both Moktezu-Mart Market and Louie’s Rock-n-Reels, a poster and movie memorabilia shop, are no longer on Harvard Drive. The Bricklight District Keva Juice also recently closed its doors.

Justin Garcia is a freelance news reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers ASUNM. He can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter at @just516garc.