C&J Intern

Claire Ortiz is an intern within the Communication and Journalism Department. She is in charge of disseminating the events, new classes and workshops offered by the department.

Four internships to help you get a head start

As internships open up and deadlines are quickly approach, the Lobo recognizes you may be swamped with this Spring’s coursework. This is why why we did some searching for you. For students seeking employment opportunities, here are four unique internship positions: 

Communications Intern, TEDxABQ

Looking to spread ideas worth hearing, TEDx hosts events across the globe. This year, the company is looking for a communications intern to help create events in Albuquerque. 

Students interested in the position must have experience with social media, strong research and writing skills and the ability to work at a fast pace. Job duties will include marketing, communications, research, graphic design and development, in addition to several other tasks, according to TEDx. The internship is also flexible to student schedules and, if taken through the University of New Mexico’s Communication and Journalism department, the internship can be taken for course credit. 

This position is open for spring, summer, and fall semesters. Contact the Communication and Journalism Department for more information. 

Planning Internship, DOE Tribal Energy Program with Sandia National Labs 

Working in part with Sandia National Labs, the Department of Energy has provided more than 30 internship positions for Indigenous students working in the energy industry. 

According to Sandia National labs, students selected to participate in the program must have a strong, articulated interest in Indian renewable energy, must have achieved an undergraduate GPA of 3.2 or higher or a master’s degree GPA of 3.5 or higher and must be pursuing an upperclassman or graduate school technical major. 

Interns will be working on existing energy jobs with the labs and travel to project locations across New Mexico. Opening up at the end of January, Native-American Planning Students have up to thirty days to for the position. Students can contact the School of Architecture and Planning to find out more. 

Visibility Intern, Environment New Mexico

Environment New Mexico is an organization dedicated to protecting and sustaining New Mexico land. This year, Environment New Mexico is looking for a visibility intern to help inform The University of New Mexico on their current campaigns.  

According to Environment New Mexico, the group is seeking students interested in community engagement, outreach and sustainability. While working there, intern tasks will include organizing events, recruiting volunteers, creating factsheets, writing letters and collaborating with other interns. 

The internship will be around 10 to 15 hours a week and is applicable for school credit. Other internship opportunities with Environment New Mexico include Digital Media, Faculty Outreach, and Student Outreach. Contact the Political Science department for more information.

Sponsorship Intern, The International Folk Art Market 

The International Folk Art Market is a grassroots organization seeking to share folk artists with the world. Located in Santa Fe, the organization offers various opportunities for art shows, markets and community outreach. 

This year, the group is looking for a high-performing intern to assist in in the expansion of the business sponsorship program for multiple events, including its flagship event, the International Folk Art Market Santa Fe which takes place July 12 to 14, 2019, according to IFAM. 

Students seeking to apply should be able to perform market analysis, identify partners and sponsors, and collect quantitative and qualitative data. Students enrolled in a bachelor’s or master’s degree can find out more about this position my contacting the Anderson School of Management.

Luisa Pennington is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted by email at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @_lpennington_.