4/20 Fest Bands

The 4/20 Festival was held in a parking lot near Cheba Hut. It featured local bands played music from noon until midnight on Saturday, April 20, 2019. 

420 Festival hosts downtown block party

The New Mexico 420 Festival took place this past weekend in downtown Albuquerque. The booths spanned 3rd Street to 7th Street, selling clothing, jewelry, food and beverages, a wide variety of CBD and hemp products, as well as music and local comedians and artists.

The block-party style event got off to a slow start, with a sparse crowd browsing the numerous cannabis-related goods. Some vendors were selling rasta-theme t-shirts and paraphernalia, but some booths attracted more attention, like a glass-blowing demonstration by hand-blown glass art studio and gallery, Glass Etc.

Glass Etc provides glassblowing lessons and creates custom pieces, including non-cannabis related glass products and pendants. 

Local comedians, Royal Wood III and Rusty Rutherford performed on Saturday, with Wood commenting that it was strange seeing downtown Albuquerque in the daylight as he was used to seeing it at night.

Reggae band, Iriebellion and rap collective, Under the Crown preformed at the festival.

According to the festival's website, “New Mexico 420 Fest is dedicated towards [sic] building an inclusive engaged community that promotes equality to economic justice, access to various programs, improved education and to raise awareness of the critical issues facing New Mexico as well as the Nation.”

Education was a key theme of the festival, the innovative cannabis education tour service LuvBud Tours were there greeting attendees. The tours take different routes through Albuquerque, bringing patrons to various dispensaries, local breweries and restaurants while giving information about the medical marijuana industry.

“We are providing transportation and educating the public on the medical benefits of cannabis products, CBD products, hemp products, in a fun, safe experience on LuvBud Tours,” said the owner of the tour service.

New Mexico recently voted to decriminalize marijuana, becoming the 24th state in the nation to do so. This is different from legalization in that it reduces penalties for having marijuana and drug paraphernalia. Selling recreational marijuana in New Mexico is currently illegal.

Now, a person found with less than half an ounce of the plant will receive a $50 fine. The new legislation will take effect July 1. Advocates are now hoping that full legalization will be pushed through in 2020.

The festival took place across New Mexico, including celebrations in Santa Fe and Las Cruces. 

Katie Monette is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted by email at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @KatieMonette9.