SUB to host cannabis-related career fair

More than a dozen companies are signed up to be hiring at the medical cannabis and hemp focused career fair. It will be held in the Student Union Building Ballrooms this Friday 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. 

The companies hiring will vary from licensed non-profit producers and manufacturers, to CBD/hemp companies and medical card consultants. 

Among those participating in the career fair is The Marijuana Show, or "Shark Tank Cannabis." This series, available on Amazon Prime, was created to help entrepreneurs in the cannabis industry. 

The 5 STAR Cannabis Career Fair is being hosted by Cannabis NM Staffing, New Mexico’s training and hiring firm in the medical cannabis industry.

Cannabis NM Staffing’s goal is to decrease the stigma surrounding cannabis through educating and engaging with the community through networking, educational and advocacy focused opportunities and events.

Evan Wrons, an alumni of the University of New Mexico and the marketing director of the event, said he hopes to break stigmas surrounding cannabis through education and the spread of accurate information.

“We can break the stigma everyday by educating ourselves,” Wrons said. “We have to change the conversations around cannabis and spread correct information. This event will be a nice snapshot of what the cannabis industry actually looks like.”

The medical cannabis industry is a fast-growing market in New Mexico. Cannabis NM helps work with companies and businesses on state specific training to best accommodate regulations and restrictions in the field.

“As licensed non-profit producers prepare to expand due to the Department of Health increasing the plant count, the state’s workforce could see a huge boost," said Shanon Jaramillo, CEO and senior recruiter at Cannabis NM Staffing. "Professionals from all backgrounds and levels are now becoming interested in working in the field of cannabis as more jobs open up.”

For more information and to register for the 5 Star Cannabis Career Fair, visit www.cannanmstaff.com. The event is free to UNM students and is open to the public for $5.

Amanda Britt is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted by email at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @AmandaBritt__.