Photo story: El Paisa

Narciso Lira lost his mother when he was a child; from very young he started working in Coahuila, Mexico.

El Paisa showcases Mexican heritage

The Institute of Mexicans abroad reports there are more than 36 million people with Mexican heritage living in the United States. In addition they reported that there are more than 24 million people that are Mexican-born and living in the United States. 

The city of Albuquerque is one of the most diverse cities in the country. Hundreds of Mexican families have settled in the largest city in  New Mexico. Southwest Albuquerque has become a point of concentration for the Mexican community. 

Bridge Boulevard is brimming with local restaurants that bring a bit of  Mexico to the Duke City for  those who have had to leave their country.   

Taqueria El Paisa has become one of the best places to eat Mexican food. Long lines to deliver quesadillas, tacos, tortas and gorditas —  typical Mexican dishes prepared with fresh ingredients, even the bread is made there. 

El Paisastarted in 1994, with a food truck that only served tacos al pastor. Their success allowed them to purchase a permanent space. It’s a place that always has clients, and throngs of people  on the weekends. 

On Bridge Boulevard is also Mr. Narciso Lira, who offers ice pops and ice cream with a worn and friendly voice. Every day he travels a great distance to sell the treats in order  "to have something to eat today," Narciso explains. 

"El Paisa is the cheapest and closest place to me. The food reminds me of Mexico. I miss my country," he said as his voice broke .