Lavender in the village

Hundreds of people from across New Mexico gathered at the Agri-Nature Center of Los Ranchos this weekend to celebrate their love for lavender. Albuquerque’s Lavender in the Village festival is an annual event taking place on July 20-21, sponsored by Los Poblanos Inn and Farm. Los Poblanos is a historic property located in the heart of Rio Grande River Valley. It houses a Historic Inn, “Field to Fork” fine dining, and twenty five acres of lavender fields. 

The Lavender Festival features hundreds of local vendors offering everything from lavender plants and bouquets, to lavender teas, cakes, lotions, and artwork. Many fine artists also showcase their work in a wide range of media, everything from paintings, to blown glass, to steel and fine gems. The festival also features many local chefs, wineries and breweries, showcasing some of Albuquerque’s most delicious food, seasonal beers, lavender sangrias, and cocktails. 

Open to everyone, the event also featured live music, open air yoga classes, kids camp and activities sponsored by ¡Explora!, an “Idea Tent” where agricultural seminars and culinary demonstrations are held, painting classes with Kelly Jo Designs by Wine and lavender distillation. All proceeds from the Lavender in the Village festival went to support local agricultural and educational programming.

Kristina Tanberg is a freelance photographer for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at photographer@dailylobo.com.