PHOTO STORY: The International Faces of UNM

Ever wonder what it’s like for foreign exchange students to study at the University of New Mexico? The Daily Lobo set out to interview exchange students currently attending UNM. We asked them what country, city and university they were from, as well as what they study. 

Alessa Fabienne Brock, Cai Thomas, Sonder Waardenburg, and Luigi Morrone are all international students attending the university this year.  When asked what their favorite experiences have been so far in New Mexico, this is what they said:

Brock: “So far, my favorite part about New Mexico has been meeting so many great new people, the food, and the beauty of the desert.”

Thomas: “I really have loved the outdoors and the weather so far here in New Mexico, because it’s actually NOT raining all the time.

Waardenburg: “My favorite experiences in New Mexico so far have been meeting new people, the amazing new experiences, and I have had an amazing time with UNM club tennis. If you have a chance, go on an exchange to discover yourself and the world.” 

Morrone: “My favorite part about New Mexico so far has been the beautiful outdoors and Balloon Fiesta.”  

For international students currently here at UNM, or students interested in learning more about studying abroad, the UNM Global Education office located in Mesa Vista Hall, can be an invaluable resource. According to the GEO website, approximately 900 international students from more than 85 different countries study at UNM.

Kristina Tanberg is a freelance photographer at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at photoeditor@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @dailylobo

Luisa Pennington is the culture editor for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at culture@dailylobi.com or on twitter @_lpennington_