Jackie Jagers.jpg

Jackie Jagers, a junior studying nursing and an all-girl cheer team member.

Outgoing UNM nursing student, cheerleader enriches community

University of New Mexico student Jackie Jagers is no stranger to challenges. As a junior juggling both nursing school and cheerleading, she still manages to maintain a friendly, outgoing attitude with a drive to continue pursuing what she’s passionate about.

As a level two nursing student, Jagers plans to ultimately become a travel nurse working “in all the different fields and all the different areas.” This, she said, will allow her “to help as many people as I can throughout my nursing career” while also aiding in avoiding burnout.

Before working as a traveling nurse, Jagers wants to practice in New Mexico and later in Arizona.

“After I graduate, I want to stay in New Mexico a little longer just to give back and practice my nursing skills before I go out and travel,” Jagers said.

Originally from Taos, New Mexico, Jagers studied at Northern Arizona University for her freshman year but ended up returning to UNM due to the COVID-19 pandemic and out-of-state costs. This ended up working well for Jagers as UNM “has been, as a whole, just a better option for me overall.” This is due to a variety of factors, including the outstanding advisors and faculty as well as the financial aid available for students, especially for those from low-income areas, according to Jagers.

Currently a first-year member of the UNM all-girl cheer team, Jagers devotes hours of weekly practice for cheer, which has been no small feat.

“It’s definitely been difficult balancing cheer and school but it’s not impossible,” Jagers said.

Teammate Amaia Bracamontes said Jagers is incredibly hardworking and goal-oriented, something clear in her ability to balance nursing school and cheerleading. Jagers’ positive attitude has an impact on those around her, according to Bracamontes.

“I feel like what makes her a good teammate is her inclusiveness … She always tries to bring everyone together and make everyone feel included,” Bracamontes said.

Another teammate, Isabella Bizzell, echoed these statements, describing Jagers as “goofy, caring and friendly” via email to the Daily Lobo.

“Jackie is definitely very outgoing. She is a funny, super sweet and loving girl. She’s always right there when you need her, whether you need her as a shoulder to cry on or if you just need a good laugh,” Bizzell wrote.

The Spirit Program competed in the 2022 UCA & UDA College National Championship in Orlando, Florida last month, and Jagers was proud of her all-girl team for placing in the finals at the competition.

“It was a lot of fun and I think that the team had a good time overall, and it was a good time for us to all spend together and celebrate a whole season’s worth of hard work and stress,” Jagers said.

Jagers has a unique ability to bring people together, according to Bracamontes.

“I feel like something that she doesn’t realize about herself is how well she carries herself in confidence and how her positivity really affects others also in a positive way,” Bracamontes said.

When Jagers isn’t cheering, she’s spending time with her dog or going to other sporting events.

“Even when I’m not cheering, I like to go to the other sports events, just to support and try to meet new people,” Jager said.

Bracamontes and Bizzell both commented on Jagers’ friendly personality and her ability to make friends easily.

“The thing about Jackie that makes her stand out the most is how friendly she is. She’s always saying hi to any and everybody,” Bizzell wrote. “I’ve definitely seen her make a few people’s day just by saying a simple hello.”

After this cheer season ends around April, Jagers plans to take a break from cheer and possibly explore other clubs at UNM while ultimately focusing on school.

Megan Gleason is the Editor-in-Chief of the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at editorinchief@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @fabflutist2716