Career Fair.jpg

A graphic advertising the IATSE Film and TV Expo, which will take place on Sunday, Aug. 28. Photo courtesy of IATSE Local 480.

IATSE Film & TV Expo invites New Mexicans to go behind the scenes

This Sunday, Aug. 28, the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees is hosting its first-ever New Mexico Film and TV Expo at the training center for the Local 480 union chapter. This expo, which allows audiences to step behind the scenes and get to know the operations of a working set, serves to lower the barrier of entry into the film industry by educating New Mexicans on what goes into making a motion picture.

In addition to providing audiences the opportunity to ask working professionals in the film unions about their craft, the free event will also help connect parties interested in pursuing a career in the industry with national schools and local film offices. The union planned the event as a way to give back to the New Mexico community for the support the industry has received in the state over the past few years.

According to IATSE 480 President Rebecca “Puck” Stair, the expo provides a unique behind the scenes experience that can’t be found anywhere else locally.

“There is no other place in New Mexico right now where you could go from meeting an actor to a key grip in the space of about 20 feet and having the opportunity to talk with them and ask, ‘what is it that you do? And what’s the skillset and how did you get into the business?’ The only other place to find those people together is on set, which is difficult and restrictive to visit,” Stair said.

The expo will feature a live set with volunteer crew from the film community shooting a two-page script on a custom-built demonstration set. The public will be able to interact directly with crew and performers to inquire about their various processes for filming.

The event, also held in collaboration with the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists and the Teamsters, isn’t just for those interested in movies, though.

“There’s gonna be a DJ, there’s gonna be food trucks, there’s gonna be opportunities to smash break-away bottles over your siblings’ heads. We just want to have a good time and celebrate the crafts behind the scenes … You can come jam out to the DJ and watch filming up close right there on the set, or poke your head inside the Breaking Bad RV trailer,” Stair said.

Originally, the expo was intended for use during the legislative sessions for film and media day at the Roundhouse — however, it was moved from January in the hopes that more members of the public could attend, according to Stair. 

Stair also emphasized the value that the expo holds for students at the University of New Mexico in particular, both in the film department and outside of it.

“UNM students could gain an opportunity to assess whether film jobs are a good fit for them … (They’ll) have a chance to take a look at the skills behind the scenes and decide if that’s something that they’re interested in,” Stair said.

The Expo will be held at the Local 480 Training Center at 8430 Washington Pl NE, Albuquerque NM.

Spenser Willden is the culture editor at the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @spenserwillden