letter to the editor.jpg

The Daily Lobo welcomes letters to the editor from any point of view.

LETTER: Support House Bill 43 this legislative session

Trigger Warning: Sexual Assault

How many of you have been to La Posada? Or the movie theater in the Student Union Building? Have you sat by the Duck Pond as the trees start to bloom? There are a lot of memories that I hold dear from my undergraduate experiences at the University of New Mexico, but of all the resources and activities UNM has to offer, the support services for sexual violence are the ones that meant the most to me.

Fall 2019 was the most complicated semester of my life. As a student, I took advantage of counseling at SHAC, academic accommodations, and regular visits to the LoboRespect Advocacy Center to navigate the dramatically different landscape after my incident. I took advantage of the resources available to me and they made an impossible situation possible.

I think that the resources available at UNM should be universally available at every institution of higher education across the country, which is why I volunteer with Every Voice New Mexico. EVC is a student-run nonprofit that’s working to pass legislation to implement additional resources for survivors of campus sexual violence.

This legislative session, we’ll be putting forward a bill that would implement resources for every college student — not just the Lobos. If you’re a New Mexico resident, please encourage your legislators to support House Bill 43 and the prevention of campus sexual violence across our state. Supporting this legislation will provide student survivors access to the support they need — use your voice and let your legislators know who you want to be represented this session.

Submitted by Emily Wilks