NEWSWMnewangled.jpg

The Women’s Resource Center is changed into the Straight White Male Resource Center on UNM Campus. 

Straight White Male Resource Center fosters community for group in need of it least

The Straight White Male Resource Center has worked faithfully to create a vibrant community at University of New Mexico focused on raising visibility and support for all straight white males on campus.

The Center is delighted to bring resources and community to all students who qualify to the specific straight, white and male constraints, according to the Center’s president Jake Micheals.

Micheals — former social media director of Sigma Chi, 2019 Wii Golf Intermediate Level Champion and the loudest man in your political science class — is interested in providing services that combat hateful environments on campus and protect the privacy of its members (men who are straight and white).

“If a student came to us and mentioned something related to crimes they may or may not have have committed, such as sexual assault, stalking, harrasment or domestic violence, we are fully equipped to provide emotional support and resources for their next steps,” Micheals said. “Our counselors are not mandatory reporters.”

The center is also interested in protecting the unique educational experience of straight-white-male-identifying students through a group of representatives hired through 4chan and trained to negotiate with the University, according to Micheals.

“We have liaisons that work with interested students to exempt them from the University’s diversity requirements. We want to make sure that each student’s education reflects their cultural background, or even their lack of one,” Micheals said.

Jacob Edwards, director of Natty Light acquisitions for the center said that they are working to expand beyond their main location to increase visibility.

“Ya, we thought it would be important to have multiple locations set up in addition to our main center. It’s all about spreading our beliefs across the whole campus. Manifest Destiny, y’know?,” Edwards said.

With growing attention from the University community, Edwards said that they are interested in listening to the student’s requests and providing services that cater to their immediate needs.

“Students really enjoy connecting through their similar struggles, so we have collage nights where straight white male students can come in their sweats or pajamas and bring physical prints of their failed NFTs for the group to use in their vision boards,” Edwards said. “It’s been a really sweet experience. We hang up the best ones around the office.”

The center also offers workshops for qualifying students. Past workshops have included, “Combating Myths of Gaslighting: Centering the Accused,” “White Men in the 21st Century: Remaining Defiant” and “Challenges of Straight and White Men: Embracing Intersectionality.”

Micheals is excited about creating an inclusive community at the Straight White Male Resource Center.

“We have worked really hard to get this program off the ground. We encourage all students that are white, straight and male to come visit us,” Micheals said. “And cisgendered. And Christian.”

Addison Key is a freelance reporter at the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @addisonkey11 

Addison Key

Addison Key is a senior reporter at the Daily Lobo and served as the Summer 2023 culture editor. She can be reached on Twitter @addisonkey11.