HAUNTEDHOUSES.jpg

Purgatory Haunted House attraction on 4th St. on Oct. 27.

OPINION: Albuquerque's Haunted Attractions

Every city has their extensive lore, whether it be exclusive to long-time residents or made available to the world through legend.

New Mexico is recognized as an especially haunted state, according to the Travel Channel. It is home to many ghost towns that have gained popularity with paranormal investigators nationwide, but Albuquerque also has a fascinating history of paranormal curiosities for residents and visitors to discover.

There are two locations in Albuquerque’s Historic Old Town that are rumored –  or in some cases, adamantly believed – to be haunted.

Painted Lady Bed and Brew

As covered on “Ghost Adventures,” Painted Lady is a bed and brew hotel that was developed out of a brothel, active from about 1880 to 1914. In addition to once operating as a brothel, the building has also been a brewery, a grocery store and apartments.

Because of its relevance through many eras of Albuquerque’s development, the Painted Lady has been and continues to be popular with locals and visitors alike, including, — allegedly, — Billy the Kid, KOB reports.

The owner, Jesse Herron, has stated that there are three spirits occupying the property – two women and one man – and that they are not friendly, KOB reports. They are said to have pestered employees, attacked animals and even followed Herron back to his own home.

However, the aggressive spirits don’t scare all patrons away, as hunting for ghosts is one of the main draws of the Painted Lady.

Visitors who are searching for an active paranormal hotspot, and don’t mind some dark and bizarre energy, should consider paying a visit to the Painted Lady.

It can be found at 1100 Bellamah Ave, in the Old Town neighborhood.

Chapel of Our Lady of Guadalupe

The Chapel of Our Lady of Guadalupe is a historic adobe chapel built by Sister Giotto Moots and her order in 1971. Located in the heart of Old Town, this chapel welcomes ceremonies and celebrations from all denominations.

The chapel is said to be occupied by a spirit called The Lady in Black. Those who have seen her say that she prays and sobs, wandering both throughout the building and on the patio, according to Visit Albuquerque

Spotting her is rumored to be especially likely during tragic events in Albuquerque. Though she is said to be one of the most terrifying spirits in haunted Albuquerque, she is also said to mourn for the losses of others and pray with visitors, as KOAT reports.

The Chapel of Our Lady of Guadalupe is located at 404 San Felipe St.

Old Town Ghost Tours

Both of these locations have been featured on the Old Town Ghost Tour – a walking tour open to the public most nights, beginning at 8 p.m. for all ages parties and at 10 p.m. for parties of adults.

The tour brings guests to different haunted locations around Old Town, supported by its history and testimonials from those who have visited before.

The tour guides encourage guests to bring along their digital cameras and participate in some friendly ghost-hunting.

Sadie Hopkins is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at news@dailylobo.com