womens basketball

Lobo guard LaTora Duff dribbles down the court against San José State. Taken February, 2023.

OPINION: Upcoming women’s basketball season preview

Last season, the Lobo women’s basketball team finished with a record of 21-13. In Mike Bradbury’s seventh season as Head Coach, it was a slight drop off compared to the 2021-2022 season. Despite that, Bradbury was offered a five-year $275,000 contract extension this past May, keeping him in charge through 2028.

Last year, the Lobo’s production was unbelievable, scoring 75.7 points per game – the second most in the conference. Along with that, they were efficient — scoring a top thee field goal, three point and free throw percentage in the conference.

A majority of last season’s offense came from University of New Mexico’s four senior starters — Amaya Brown, LaTascya Duff, LaTora Duff and Shaiquel McGruder. Together they combined for 46.5 points per game and were key players in all components of the Lobo’s system.

This upcoming season, there are a couple of new additions to the team — new junior guards Nahawa Diarra Berthe and Nyah Wilson. Berthe is here from Odessa College. During her time as a Wrangler, she averaged 10.8 points per game, 4.2 rebounds per game and 2.6 assist per game. Wilson is coming here from Syracuse and appeared in 20 games.

A freshman acquisition was Paris Lauro. Lauro is from Highland Park High School in Dallas, Texas, named captain her senior year. With that, she averaged 17.3 points, 8.3 rebounds and 1.8 blocks per game in her senior season.

Key contributors from last season who are back again are guard Vianè Cumber and forward Paula Reus who  combined for a total of 37 starts throughout most of last season. Cumber averaged 9.2 points per game, showing off stellar shooting while Reus averaged eight points per game but dominated defensively and on the glass, being third on the team in rebounds and steals.

Point guard Aniyah Augmon will be asked to take on a larger role this season. She came off the bench in 29 of her 31 games and provided a much needed burst once on the court. Augmon averaged 7.1 points and 4.4 rebounds in 21.2 minutes per game.

Taking a look at the schedule, they have two exhibition games against Eastern New Mexico on Oct. 22 and Adams State on Oct. 29.

Their season kicks off against Texas Southern at The Pit on Nov. 6 A game to keep an eye out for is the rivalry game against New Mexico State University on Dec. 2. Last season, the Aggies defeated the Lobos 73-64, adding more fuel to game.

Lobos will start conference play against Nevada on Dec. 30. Last season, the Lobos breezed to a win against  Nevada 88-58.

Bradbury’s current record for his seven years coaching at UNM is 141-78 – one that is sure to improve this season. With great offensive production last season and a contract extension, there are high expectations for this team.

The big question  is will there be a drop off in production or will they pick up where they left off?

Rodney Prunty is a freelance sports reporter at the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on twitter @Rprunty05