Free meals on Thanksgiving

Whether in need of a turkey to prepare or a warm meal to eat, there are a variety of events in Albuquerque over break to cater to these needs in several ways.

University students are one of the groups in the U.S. that suffer most from food insecurity. According to the Basic Needs Survey run by the University of New Mexico Basic Needs Project, 37% of UNM undergraduate students suffer from food insecurity.

Over Thanksgiving Break, La Posada, along with other food options found in the Student Union Building (SUB), will be closed. Only the Market at the Student Resource Center will be open over break with reduced operation hours from 11:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.

While many on-campus options will be unavailable, a few on and off-campus partners are holding events for this Thanksgiving season to combat these insecurities.

UNM’s LGBTQ+ Resource Center is providing a Friendsgiving feast, including take-out and vegan options at their location on 1919 Las Lomas Rd. NE on Wednesday, Nov. 22 from 12 - 3 p.m. Anyone at UNM who wants to have a good meal is welcome to the event.

The Lobo Food Pantry offers free food to all UNM students, open this week from Mon. - Wed. 11 a.m. - 5 p.m. at the SUB, Room 1093 with valid ID.

Providing pre-cooked meals, Joy Junction and the Albuquerque Indian Center are both hosting a Thanksgiving Feast on Nov. 22 from 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. All are encouraged to come by and grab a meal, according to KRQE.

Several food banks and pantries in Albuquerque are also giving away free boxes of food.

The Storehouse New Mexico, located at 106 Broadway Blvd. SE, hosts food distributions where you can participate in their free groceries giveaway each month with a valid ID, according to KRQE.

The Roadrunner Food Bank is putting together three days worth of food distributions. From Nov. 18 - 20, they are holding mobile distributions in three different locations: Rio Grande High School, the Roadrunner Food Bank parking lot and at Expo NM, all happening from 9 a.m. - 3p.m., according to KRQE.

For UNM students and anyone else struggling with food insecurities during Thanksgiving, many are helping to provide food for those in need of delicious meals during break and the holidays.

Kat Gomez is a freelance reporter with the Daily Lobo. They can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo