The Guild

The Guild on Central Avenue, taken on Saturday, Nov. 11.

Opinion: The Guild has plenty to offer

In recent years, New Mexico has become a hotspot for filmmaking. More than ever before, opportunities for filming locations and industry programs have opened up and drawn in filmmakers – locally and globally.

As the University of New Mexico’s Film Department continues to grow, students should be aware of the incredible opportunities at their disposal to expand their knowledge of film.

The Guild Cinema in Albuquerque has been operating for nearly 60 years and they continue to provide a space for auteurs to premiere their work, as well as conduct special screenings. There are no specific films the Guild screens, but their unpredictable nature keeps their productions fresh and exciting.

As an alternative to the massive chain theaters sprinkled throughout Albuquerque, the Guild shows films and projects for moviegoers who are tired of massive box office releases and want to see the more passionate and personal side of filmmaking.

The Guild has spent the year putting on screenings of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” (1975), the 20th Anniversary edition of “The Room” (2003) (with special guest speaker Greg Sestero live) and many others.

For the remainder of 2023, the Guild has big plans; many horror, independent, arthouse and experimental films will be shown, as well as special events for the holidays.

Horror fans should consider stepping in for a screening of slasher film “Chopping Mall” (1986) on Nov. 17, comedy horror film “Poultrygeist” (2006) on Nov. 24 or experimental thriller “Suspiria” (1977) on Nov. 25.

For the holidays, New Mexico Entertainment will be hosting productions at the Guild such as the 40th Anniversary screening of A Christmas Story (1983) on Dec. 9.

The Guild does not only host film screenings. They also provide a space for other creators to share their work as well.

On Nov. 16, the Guild will be providing a stage for indigenous comedians with “Laughing for Land: A Night of Native Comedy.” All proceeds from the show will go toward Bears Ears Inter-Tribal Coalition in an effort to preserve the Bears Ears Cultural landscape.

“Volant’s Best Fashion of Fall and Winter 2023 Showcase” will be held the following day on Nov. 17, giving guests a look into fashion catalogs from brands like Balenciaga and Louis Vuitton for the season.

Sadie Hopkins is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at cultue@dailylobo.com