Miyawni.jpg

Portrait courtesy of Miyawni Curtis.

Miyawni Curtis contains multitudes

Miyawni Curtis did not always want to be a journalist. But after her high school teachers encouraged her to continue to invest in her writing, she selected it as her major at the University of New Mexico.

Curtis graduates with a degree in Multimedia Journalism after a year and a half spent at the University. During this time, she worked as a reporter and news editor for the Daily Lobo, wrote for Source New Mexico and participated in an internship at KSFR – northern New Mexico’s independent public radio station.

While at the Daily Lobo, Curtis wrote news, culture and a few sports stories. Her favorite articles to write are human interest stories involving giving people justice and making sure their stories are heard, she said.

“Just being able to pick up a story for the Daily Lobo or pick up a story for my news classes was really fun for me,” Curtis said. “My favorite part of school was being able to go to events and write amazing stories about amazing people.”

Annya Loya – staff reporter at the Deming Headlight and former news editor for the Daily Lobo during the 2022-23 school year – described Miyawni as a reliable, trustworthy reporter.

“She was always on top of things and she was just an amazing person to work with,” Loya said. “She’s a hard worker; she is willing to do that extra step.”

Curtis’ experience at the Daily Lobo allowed her freedom in her writing and the opportunity to meet many different people, she said. She interned at KSFR last summer through the New Mexico Local News Fellowships and Internships program.

“I learned a lot and could possibly see myself in a career in radio,” Curtis said. “But I honestly enjoy all of it. I love TV, I love video journalism, I love photography, writing, audio. I think the more I got into it, the more I fell in love with every aspect.”

Curtis started at UNM in 2022 after graduating from high school in 2021 and simultaneously receiving her General Studies Certificate from Central New Mexico Community College. Curtis cites her family and mom as some of her greatest motivators.

“Having a line of really strong women who finished school and finished college while they were doing sports or while they were doing side jobs – I think that was always a big inspiration for me,” she said.

Gwyneth Doland – UNM professor of practice in journalism and program manager at the New Mexico Local News Fellowships and Internships program – said she appreciates Curtis’ approach to journalism. Curtis was in two of Doland’s classes.

“She’s a tenacious reporter, but she’s also got a nice, calm manner, and I think that encourages people to talk to her,” Doland said.

The best journalism advice Curtis received at UNM was from Doland, Curtis said.

“If you really stand for something, stand for it. Don’t let anyone tell you you can’t do something. Just do it,” Curtis said Doland told her.

Post-graduation, Curtis plans to take a break to spend time with family, travel and write. The next step in her career is becoming a published author, she said. She will also continue to write freelance stories for various news outlets.

Later, Curtis plans to get a master’s degree in business. Freelance writing gives her the opportunity to explore additional things, she said, and she wants to be an entrepreneur.

“I would say I’m a pretty creative person, and a lot of people in my life have always said, ‘Pick one thing and stick to it,’ but that’s just not me. I love so many things, and I think people shouldn’t be afraid to like a lot of things. I think it’s honestly a plus,” Curtis said.

Lily Alexander is the news editor for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @llilyalexander

Lily Alexander