Rec Outdoor.jpg

The University of New Mexico's Outdoor Adventure Center and Lobo Bike Shop on Friday, Jan. 7. 

Get away with Getaway Adventures

Getaway Adventures – a program offered through the University of New Mexico Outdoor Adventure Center – provides students with the opportunity to further their learning through group trips around New Mexico and the country.

Charles Gwinn, the OAC Operations Specialist, is in charge of the Getaway Adventures program and said he strives to create a multi-layered experience.

“These experiences allow students an affordable path to be active outdoors, learn a new skill, expand cultural knowledge and build community,” Gwinn said.

This spring, there are 12 Getaway Adventures available from snowshoe summits to relaxing days spent at Ojo Santa Fe Spa. All except the “Arizona Adventure” are available to UNM students for under $100.

“Pricing has several factors that influence the final outcome. Students are given discounted rates compared to faculty, staff and community members,” Gwinn said. “I try to keep it as affordable as possible for students.”

Most adventures have a group of about six to 10 participants, along with a waitlist in case a slot becomes available, Gwinn said. After registering for an adventure, there is a preparation period for participants.

“After registration, participants receive a letter outlining the trip and any equipment (or) supplies,” Gwinn said. “Each trip has a required pre-trip meeting to go over logistics, meet fellow participants and guides, answer any questions and have gear fitted.”

Red chilis appear on each adventure to indicate the skill and athletic difficulty they may pose for an individual. However, participants do not need to be exceptionally skilled or athletic for every adventure, Gwinn said. The range of options available gives those who are interested the chance to attend an adventure.

“The Intergalactic Adventure, Turquoise Trail and Tinkertown Tour, as well as Arizona Adventure are good starting points for anyone looking to have a relaxing getaway,” Gwinn said. “They are all designed for any experience or fitness level.”

Elizabeth Secor is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted on Twitter @esecor2003 

Elizabeth Secor