Craig A. Butler

The Setonian
Opinion

COLUMN: NASA should explore life in space

Monday, the Bush administration released its proposal for NASA's 2003 budget. This budget stresses developing nuclear power and propulsion systems. Most unmanned planetary and scientific probe programs will be getting budget increases, but space station Alpha and the space shuttle program will have their funds cut dramatically. Also completely deleted from the budget are planned Europa and Pluto missions.

The Setonian
Opinion

COLUMN: Labels paint ethnicity with broad strokes

One of the joys of school in the modern day is the endless forms we are constantly asked to fill out. Standardized tests, surveys, teacher evaluations - you name it. Along with other demographic information, one question we always have to answer these days is "ethnicity."

The Setonian
Opinion

COLUMN: Forum chance to question next mayor

Imagine being out late one night with your friends. You have nowhere in particular to go, so you're just hanging out at a neighborhood park. You're not drunk, on drugs, selling drugs, breaking into people's houses or cars or anything else even slightly illegal.

The Setonian
Opinion

COLUMN: Construction reigns at UNM

Funny thing I notice as I look around campus. Last time I saw the place was at the end of spring semester, and I had hoped that most of the construction projects would be done by the time I got back. Instead, things are even more torn up, with more orange barrels and fences than before.

The Setonian
Opinion

Trigger-happy discipline is wrong

Tuesday night, Estero High School in Estero, Fla., held its graduation ceremonies. One of the graduating seniors was not allowed to attend. Lindsay Brown, a National Merit Scholar and honor student who had never before been in trouble at school, was suspended for having a kitchen knife in her car.

The Setonian
Opinion

Space tourism could be reality

American Dennis Tito became Monday what many are calling the world’s first space tourist. Floating onto the International Space Station with a grin on his face and $20 million poorer, he became the first to show that what science fiction authors have dreamed of for decades may not be so far out after all.

The Setonian
Opinion

Tips on handling the finals frenzy

Ready for the semester to end and have all these classes behind you? Ready to end this academic drudgery so you can lean back, put up your feet and congratulate yourself for a job well done? There’s just one problem: getting through these last couple of weeks alive.

The Setonian
Opinion

Students can say where fees go

If any lesson should be learned from last year’s presidential election and the resulting chaos, it’s that every single vote really does count. These days, it’s easy to feel lost in the crowd. When a hundred million people are voting, it’s easy to shrug your shoulders and say, “What difference would my vote make, anyway?”

More articles »