Donald Duran III

Source: Campus Office of Substance Abuse Prevention 2008 Student Lifestyles Survey
News

COSAP survey: More students binge drinking

More students at UNM are taking risks by binge drinking, but more disapprove of drinking and driving, according to a COSAP survey. The Campus Office of Substance Abuse Prevention reported the results of its 2008 Student Lifestyles Survey last month. John Steiner, COSAP health educator, said results of past surveys were not published, but statistics this year show that 90 percent of the 835 students surveyed either disapproved or strongly disapproved of drinking and driving, which is up from past data.

Students from Greg Taylor's radio astronomy class climb a radio antenna at the Very Large Array, part of the Long Wavelength Array project, in Socorro on Feb. 21. The antennas will help scientists, some trained at UNM, learn more about weather in space.
News

UNM comes to forefront of space weather research

New Mexico has long been known as a breeding ground for scientific breakthroughs, and space research might be next on the horizon. UNM, in collaboration with the U.S. military, is researching weather patterns in space. Gregory Taylor, associate professor in the Physics and Astronomy Department, and Christopher Watts, research professor in the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, are working closely with UNM students on the Long Wavelength Array project.

Students march from Civic Plaza to Tiguex Park during a rally for the Invisible Children organization on Saturday. The rally was scheduled to end Sunday, but protesters will meet again in front of City Hall today in hopes of getting attention from politic
News

A protest overlooked

A rally to draw attention to the plight of child soldiers in Africa went awry this weekend as protesters waited in vain for someone to recognize their cause. The Invisible Children organization held its third international awareness event, the Rescue, at Tiguex Park near Old Town on Saturday.

Raydean Johnson performs a traditional Zuni dance in the SUB Atrium on Thursday. The dance was part of Nizhoni Days, a program hosted by Kiva Club. Events continue through April 26, including an Indian taco sale today from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Mesa Vi
News

UNM teams take prize in engineering contest

Two teams of UNM engineering students won an international competition this month by designing efficient and cost-effective water treatment processes. The teams estimated that they spent more than 100 hours since November working on their projects for the Waste Environment Research Consortium Environmental Design Competition.

The Setonian
News

The Setonian
News

UNM hosts expo to support sustainability

Students looking to buy organic produce or find a good deal on a bike might want to stop by Cornell Mall today. In honor of Earth Day, UNM will host its Sustainability Expo from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Organizations including UNMPD, Parking and Transportation Services, Lobo Energy and the Sustainability Studies program's Lobo Growers Market will set up booths and activities for expo-goers to take part in.

Mary Schmidt, left, and Bill Hartman converse during a reception at the Science & Technology Park Rotunda on Monday. STC.UNM hosted the event to honor 34 researchers whose work earned 22 patents and copyrights this year.
News

Ceremony recognizes patent, copyright recipients

STC.UNM hosted its sixth annual Creative Awards ceremony on Monday to honor students and faculty who have been issued patents or copyrights within the past year. "What we're celebrating here tonight is one of the things that make public research universities great," said Julia Fulghum, vice president for research.

The Setonian
News

PATS plans construction of 2 parking structures

Construction of two Main Campus parking structures is scheduled to start at the end of the semester. The Board of Regents approved the project at its meeting Thursday. The two structures will cost about $29 million and will be funded by bonds sold in 2007, according to UNM.

The Setonian
News

University sets tobacco-free date

UNM will go tobacco-free on Aug. 1. That means no cigarettes and no chewing tobacco, except within designated smoking areas around campus, said Pug Burge, co-chairwoman of the Smoke Free Environment Committee. The committee has presented its revised campus smoking policy to campus groups, including GPSA and ASUNM, Burge said.

More articles »

More media »