Laurel Brishel Prichard

The Setonian
News

Substance seminars replace penalties

Instead of being treated like criminals, students caught drinking on campus are being educated, not disciplined. The Campus Office of Substance Abuse and Prevention (COSAP) is combating underage drinking by requiring guilty students to attend a three-hour seminar about how drinking and drugs can have lasting effects. Since students caught drinking on campus aren’t given the typical off-campus citation called a “Minor in Possession,” Health educator John Steiner said the class highlights how alcohol and drugs can interfere with day-to-day activities. “(The class) isn’t so much about ‘Don’t do this,’” he said.

The Setonian
News

Forum dissects effects of bullying

The on-campus LGBTQ resource center is hosting a forum today to counteract the effects of cyber bullying on gay and lesbian students. David Griffith, a program assistant at LGBTQ, said the forum will examine the community impact of technology as a tool for bullying. “I’ m sure UNM is not as bad as a lot of colleges across the United States, but there are definitely still issues that are present, and there are members of the UNM community that have faced these issues before,” Griffith said. The all-inclusive forum will take place in SUB Ballroom C from 4 to 5:30 p.m. Students on the panel will share their experiences about facing discrimination, and people can talk to counselors and get information about on-campus and community resources. Griffith said the forum will give students an outlet to express concerns so they don’t fall victim to tragedies like that of first-year Rutgers University student Tyler Clementi.

The Setonian
News

Seminar a racism reminder

More than 300 students joined to voice concerns about racism in health and educational institutions Thursday. Dr. Camara Phyllis Jones, the keynote speaker, said institutional racism is just as much a problem as racism at the individual level.

The Setonian
News

Yale structure open for parking

The parking strain for students, faculty and staff may decrease with Monday’s opening of the Yale parking structure. Robert Nelson, associate director for UNM Parking and Transportation Services, said the garage adds 780 parking spaces to campus, which go for about $425 a year for students and can range up to $698 for faculty and staff depending on their salaries.

The Setonian
News

Seminars help market ideas

Attention students: This fall, STC.UNM offers inventors and entrepreneurs seminars that teach business and marketing skills. Lisa Kuut­tila, president and CEO of STC.UNM, said that seminars, which are free but require registration, help students evolve and understand how to start their own businesses or market their own inventions. “So you have an idea now?

The Setonian
News

Students appeal grant denials

­­­­ GPSA held an appeal review meeting Tuesday to determine several applicants’ futures for summer 2010 grant applications that were denied. Three graduate students who applied for the Student Research Allocation Committee grants and Specialized Training grants presented their cases in front of a four-member graduate panel.

More articles »