Mike Carr/Daily Lobo guest columnist

The Setonian
Opinion

Fraud abounds during census season

When it comes to fraud, nothing is off limits, especially on the Internet. With the 2010 Census swinging into high gear and tax season already well underway, expect to see fraudulent “census” and “tax” e-mail and text messages in the near future.  For starters, the Internal Revenue Service never conducts business via e-mail, text messaging or the telephone. For the most part, this is also true about the U.S.

The Setonian
Opinion

Protect your identity this season

Around eight million people are expected to be victims of identity theft in 2009. With the holiday shopping season upon us, here are a few tips that may help you from becoming an identity theft statistic: Reduce the number of credit and debit cards you carry in your wallet and keep track of the cards you do carry.

The Setonian
Opinion

New technology secures network

Recently, there has been discussion on and off campus about Network Access Control, or NAC. Some folks have complained that NAC is slowing them down; others have said that NAC installs malicious software onto their computers; and still others think that NAC was a good band while they lasted (by the way, the 80s band was called “The Knack” not “NAC.”) So … let’s clear the air. NAC is a computer network security technology recently implemented at UNM.

The Setonian
Opinion

Facebook quizzes leak user info

With more than 132 million unique visitors in 2008, Facebook is considered to be the world’s leading social networking site (during the same year, MySpace had a mere 117 million unique visitors). And, in terms of Internet traffic, some rank Facebook as the planet’s fourth busiest Web site.

More articles »