Tomas E. Moralez

The Setonian
Culture

Film teaches students to preserve predators

Top predators hold a key to life itself. Can people and predators coexist? Can we afford not to? These are some of the questions posed in the 2009 film, “Lords of Nature: Life in a Land of Great Predators,” the first of many films presented monthly by the UNM Chapter of the New Mexico Wilderness Alliance.

Roi Kuper in his home Monday. Kuper, UNM’s first artist in residence, will give a lecture tonight at the UNM Art Museum.
Culture

Looking for meaning in the NM landscape

Roi Kuper is an Israeli landscape photographer and UNM’s first artist in residence. He has worked in England, France, Spain and Scotland.  “Whenever I go somewhere to photograph landscapes, it’s not that I’m looking for an interesting landscape to photograph,” Kuper said. “I already know there is something interesting at the particular area, and I go there to find more interesting things within the landscape.” Kuper will give a lecture today at 5:30 p.m.

The Setonian
Culture

Documentarian sends viewers in search of self

Sit down in the deep mountains of South Korea. Prepare to find your inner self. Sang Hwan Kim, the producer of “Zen Buddhism: In Search of Self,” which premieres at a Singapore film festival this month, says that one can spiritually die and be reborn, become one with the body and mind, and ascend to another level of life through meditation. The documentary is set in the Baek Hung (pronounced ‘beck kung’) Temple, deep in the Palgong Mountains of Daegu, South Korea, during a 90-day event known as Dong Ahn Geo, when Zen Buddhist nuns gather for rigorous meditation, fasting and contemplation. Kim, a Korean-American who was born in what is now South Korea, is working on a doctorate in exercise science at UNM.

More articles »