Culture, family key in 'Drunks' performance

X play brings to light American Indian struggles

by Carilyn Rome

Daily Lobo

The Theatre X at UNM's Center for the Arts has produced an array of non-commercial productions. All of these shows have left audiences with a new appreciation for performing arts and maybe a new perspective on the world around them.

In the Theatre X Oct. 30 through Nov. 2, a provocative play called "Only Drunks and Children Tell the Truth" will be performed. Canadian American Indian Drew Hayden Taylor, who is known for the accurate depiction of American Indian issues and characters, wrote "Only Drunks and Children."

The play tells the story of two sisters Janice and Barb, who were separated in 1955 when the Children's Aid Society took the older sister Janice from her "improper and inadequate" home, on the Otter Lake Reservation and placed her with a white family. The story focuses on the two sisters as they struggle to overcome their past and attempt to become a family.

This is not an easy task because their pasts are so different. Janice has a hard time balancing her American Indian heritage and her white upbringing. Barb struggles to accept why her sister is reluctant to delve into life on the Reservation. The conflict comes to a head 35 years later when Barb, the younger sister travels to Toronto to bring Janice back to the reservation.

Director, Reiko Yazzie is a graduate student in UNM's Department of Theatre and Dance directing program. She said she chose to direct "Only Drunks and Children" partially because she wanted to direct something written by an American Indian playwright. She became familiar with Taylor's work through an anthology and was drawn to the work because she "likes the relationship that develops between the sisters despite their background."

She said the play deals with difficult issues like self-identity, which is a topic people from every walk of life can relate to. She points out that the play cuts across all the boundaries in a relatable way. You don't have to be a American Indian or have a sister to get something out of this play.

Yazzie said the hardest part of bringing this play to stage is the same thing that made her love the play. All the characters are Native American and therefore have an understanding of the humor and issues involved.

Ultimately, "Only Drunks and Children" is a must see for anyone with an identity and a family.