French cast stunning in new film

Movie about Prodigal Son should not be missed

by Michael Sanchez

Daily Lobo

In a twist of the story of the Prodigal Son from the Bible, comes "Comment J'ai Tue Mon Pere," a film from France that gives us the story of the Prodigal Father.

After being absent from his sons' lives for more than twenty years, Maurice (played by Michel Bouquet) attends a party that his oldest son, Jean-Luc (played by the capable Charles Berling) is throwing in Versailles.

Jean-Luc gives a speech about how when he was planning to move to Versailles, people tried to warn him away from it, claiming that it was a town infected with the bourgeois and people who don't accept new things. Jean-Luc claims this idea is mistaken - the purpose of the film is to disprove his statement.

Jean-Luc is upset by his father's sudden appearance in his life after an absence of so many years, but tries to make his long lost dad feel welcome in his home. Jean-Luc's wife, Isa, takes an immediate liking to Maurice and the two converse much more than Jean-Luc and his paternal influence.

Jean-Luc seems to lead a near-perfect life, and his father comments on it with stunning accuracy. He has a beautiful wife, a gorgeous home and a thriving business. The community adores him. The arrival of his father throws all of this off-kilter, however, and the filmmakers imply that all of the chaos in Jean-Luc's life is the direct result of his father being there, if not inherent in his genes.

However, the film soon flips as we see Jean-Luc visiting the home of another woman, and rushes into her arms. Isa, meanwhile, has told Maurice that, although she and her husband want children very much, she is unable to bear and therefore there are no children present in their lives.

Jean-Luc is increasingly aggressive towards his father and brother, who have quite a knack for comedic routines.

A beautiful film, shot in France, "Comment J'ai Tue Mon Pere" translates to "How I Killed My Father," and deals with the excellent issues of abandonment and the ramifications of such an action, while pushing the envelope for sub-plot development and subtle changes.

Bouquet does an excellent job with his role of Maurice, playing an old man who is past the point of begging forgiveness, but who knows that he has led a poor life as a father. Natacha Reginier is beautiful playing Isa in her journey for self-sufficience and a truthful relationship. Although he only has a supporting role, Stephane Guillon steals the show as Patrick, the younger brother of Jean-Luc, for whom Maurice did not come home. Guillon shows talent that broods underneath the surface, promising one day to boil.

Overall, the cast is stellar and the story has so much to say it should be almost impossible.

"How I Killed My Father" opens Friday, Nov. 1, at Madstone Theaters at 6311 San Mateo Blvd. It is in French with English subtitles.