Popular pub to get new look, life

Many at UNM may not have noticed the quiet closure of Sprockets Pub, a bar across Central Avenue from UNM last summer. However, many have surely noticed the current gutting of the former popular student bar at 2216 Central Ave. SE.

The location, which was the Fat Chance Bar & Grill before being rechristened Sprockets, is now being converted into a new bar and restaurant that has not yet been named. The space had been vacant for several months.

Pentavision, LLC is completely gutting the structure and starting the new restaurant from scratch.

Pentavision is comprised of five partners including Terry Keene, a UNM alumnus who is the owner of the Artichoke CafÇ, Chris Gordon, a graduate of the Anderson Schools of Management and local resident Sam Frantzeskos. The group's other two partners are silent. The group also owns the Bien Shur Restaurant and Lounge in the Sandia Casino.

The owners described their plans of turning the old space into a complete restaurant and bar serving food and drinks from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. They said menu items will be available throughout the day so patrons can order lunch items for dinner and vice versa.

The group also said that the restaurant will offer a casual menu with moderately priced lunch and dinner items featuring a large selection of sandwiches and appetizers.

Plans for the restaurant also include an espresso machine and the new owners also expressed an interest in eventually offering breakfast items.

Owners said the atmosphere will be geared toward the UNM neighborhood of students, young professionals, faculty and administrators.

Edward Fitzgerald, architect of the Flying Star Cafe, designed the plans for the 2,500 square-foot space, which includes raising the ceiling from 7 feet 6 inches to 10 feet and adding skylights.

The group described the new design as solid, contemporary and industrial yet warm with red seating, a wood topped bar, stone, glass and modern elements.

For entertainment, there will be two plasma TV screens for audiovisuals and sports games, as well as Internet connectors for laptop users.

"You walk into the space and the space entertains you too," Frantzeskos said. "You feel good about where you are."

The group is considering a naming contest featuring a cash prize, but it is also taking a look at some already-proposed names such as Rebar or The Red Door.

While the new restaurant and bar will not feature any bands or musical ensembles, the owners do plan on having DJs in the evenings to provide some live entertainment. They said that they would leave that aspect up to Frantzeskos, who owned The Melbourne Metro, the largest club in Melbourne, Australia, for 12 years.

The group said it is aiming for an opening date about five months from now and is planning on being open seven days a week throughout the year except for Christmas Eve and Christmas day.

The group said the bar and restaurant will also be available for special events and private parties.