Choir concert more than voices

Performance to feature selections from Vivaldi, Faure

When was the last time you did something nice for your mother? That's what I thought, you negligent monster.

Well, here's a hint -- she doesn't want to see the new "Jackass" movie.

How about an evening of music? Tonight, the University Choir and the University Symphony Orchestra will perform two favorites of the choral repertoire, Vivaldi's "Gloria" and Faure's "Requiem," conducted by Professor Bradley Ellingboe and Professor Jorge Perez-Gomez.

The Daily Lobo was lucky enough to attend a rehearsal, Tuesday, Dec. 3.

"The show has a dark and light motif going for it," Ellingboe said. "We'll be starting off with Faure's 'Requiem,' which is understandably dark, and we'll be finishing off with Vivaldi's 'Gloria,' a more uplifting piece."

But that's not all -- the evening will include fine art as well. Acclaimed printmaker and university professor Yoshiko Shimano will present 19 prints, which will be projected over the heads of the choir throughout the show to accompany the ensembles.

"Gloria" is one of Vivaldi's most famous works for choir. Tonight the ensembles will be performing Vivaldi's "2nd Gloria" which was written later in the composer's life. Fans of Vivaldi's "1st Gloria," will be happy to hear that the final fugues of both pieces are similar harmonically and contain the same subject, "Cum sancto spiritu in Gloria dei patris. Amen."

Ellingboe approaches the piece in a celebratory fashion, following in suit with the mood of the piece. Energetic and fun, Ellingboe helps inform the piece with the right enthusiasm.

Ellingboe is a nationally recognized teacher who serves as head of the voice concentration in the music department. He has composed over 60 published choral works including "Requiem," which was premiered by the chorus last semester.

Faure's "Requiem" is also a very popular choral work. Written well after Vivaldi's time, Faure makes use of post-Romantic harmonies to create a foreboding tone.

The first movement alone will bring chills to your spine with huge dynamic differences juxtaposed in short intervals of time. The chorus swells to an almost deafening dynamic and the orchestra abruptly falls away, as if a great distance has suddenly come.

"This piece is so popular that I felt compelled to do what brought out the reflective nature inerrant in the piece." said Perez-Gomez. "It's technically challenging but the dynamics are so delicate. That's what I'm focusing on. When there is a large orchestra with so many intricate parts the immediate musical performance is easier, but not desired in this case."

Perez-Gomez approaches this piece with the sensitivity and introspection it requires by not allowing the bright parts of the piece to overpower its more brooding aspects.

Perez-Gomez has conducted the UNM Symphony Orchestra since 1990. He guest-conducted the Tulsa Youth Symphony during its first tour of Europe and was Artistic Director of the International Opera Academy in Rome for the Summer of 1998.

Seven students will be performing solos. There is a soprano solo in the "Requiem" performed by Jessica Bachicha and a baritone solo performed by Ryan Hatch. There are also several solos in "Gloria," performed by sopranos Angelica Facio, Elenor Rammey, and Cammie Woods; and altos Cristina Duran and Stefanie Lamm.

All the soloists seem to approach the pieces with authenticity as a high priority. They do not visit these pieces as contemporaries thinking of another time or place. Instead, they own them.

"I just hope people will come and support all the hard work of the students" Perez-Gomez said. "It's important for people to come and hear the work of the students so the students can feel they have an impact."

The performance will be at 7:30 p.m. tonight in Popejoy Hall. Tickets are $3.