'Jules et Jim' a French gem

Madstone Theater presents landmark films in its Movie Milestone series

by Rafael Gallegos

Daily Lobo

Seminal filmmaker Francois Truffaut's "Jules et Jim" is playing at Madstone Theater as part of the Movie Milestone series.

The French director was a part of the French New Wave in film that strove to push the boundaries of filmic language. "Jules et Jim" is only one of Truffaut's masterpieces, and it is certainly worthy of its inclusion in the series along with "Citizen Kane" and "The Godfather."

Truffaut's film is based on the novel Jules et Jim, by Henri-Pierre Roche. Famous for his auteur theory that places all authorial responsibility and control on the director, Truffaut's use of an existing text was a departure from his norm. "Jules et Jim," however, has the Truffaut stamp of excellence.

With the now popular two guys and a girl format as its basis, "Jules et Jim" explores the mÇnage a trios relationship and its ups and downs. Oskar Werner plays Jules and Austrian actor Henri Serre plays Jim. Jules and Jim are two young players on the Parisian cafÇ society scene. Prior to meeting Catherine, played by Jeanne Morreau, we see the bachelors' exploits as they succeed and fail at love.

Enter Catherine and the threesome commences. War breaks up the triangle, with Jules and Jim on opposing sides. The war is only one of the obstacles between the two friends -- nationality and language play a significant role in character delineation.

Jules marries Catherine, but their marriage soon fades. Wanting to be close to the mercurial Catherine, Jules asks his best friend to take up with his wife. The ideals of loyalty and faithfulness are questioned, and Catherine seems to be an empowered character.

Catherine could be seen as a feminist character. Her choices dictate the action of the film. She mimics men and even puts on a man's suit. A direct nod to Chaplin's tramp, this sequence also shows Truffaut's then-unconventional technique.

The three characters race on a bridge, Catherine in her Chaplin costume, and we see a tracking shot that follows Catherine, keeping her in frame as she runs. Truffaut's use of montage when we first meet Catherine is also notable.

Most of the film has a great depth of field, keeping most everything inside the frame in focus so the spectator can choose its subject. Truffaut also constantly makes the audience aware that they are watching a film with his style of narrator. Its distinctly male voice sets a cold and distant feel for the film.

Very well versed in the vocabulary of film history, Truffaut can teach the aspiring filmmaker a thing or two and Jeanne Morreau's performance is worth the price of admission.

Any film buff, student or couple looking for a good night at the cinema should consider Truffaut's "Jules et Jim."

Madstone Theater is at 6311 San Mateo Blvd. NE. Call 872-4000 for more information. Tickets are $6.50 for students or $5.25 for matinees.