Community honors activist

March wraps up month long festivities commemorating CÇsar Chavez' memory

Hundreds of people gathered Saturday in a peace march to celebrate CÇsar Chavez month.

The march, like Chavez, was non-violent and strong - only fitting in these turbulent times. After the march, people gathered at the CÇsar Chavez Community Center in honor of the man who inspired so many with grace and humility.

With speakers, musicians, a car show, dancers and Rio Grande High School poets, the day was full of the gente's cheer, a celebration for a man so broadly acclaimed.

"This is amazing," APS school board member Miguel Acosta said. "It is important that we keep re-enforcing our history and our culture."

The month of March has been dedicated to the honor and commemoration of the life of a strong, humble man.

CÇsar Estrada Chavez was the persevering leader of the first successful farm workers' union in our nation's history. He organized the United Farm Workers of America.

Chavez's objective was to change the substandard working conditions of his fellow migrant workers. This movement included influencing the public to boycott grapes and other fruits and vegetables from companies that used pesticides to kill bugs living on the crops.

The pesticides were sprayed from small airplanes as the people worked in the fields below. They affected the health of the workers. In many instances, pregnant workers who were exposed to the pesticides would give birth to underdeveloped fetuses, babies with no arms or other deformities.

Facing much adversity, the farm workers' union trekked on, gaining national attention. The struggle for these basic human rights to be honored was tough, yet Chavez and his fellow workers persevered with the notion that they could change things.

As a social, environmental and human rights activist, Chavez also used non-violent tactics. Chavez was a naturally peaceful man and was influenced by other peace activists such as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Gandhi.

"We are convinced that non-violence is more powerful than violence," Chavez said. "We are convinced that non-violence supports you if you have a just and moral cause. If you use violence, you have to sell part of yourself for that violence. Then you are no longer a master of your own struggle."

The funeral for his death in 1993 gathered more than 40,000 people he had touched in his life.

Because he was born on March 31, 1927, the entire month of March is dedicated to his memory and his efforts toward peace. This year the UNM Chicano/a Studies Department and the Xicano Student Coalition Committee headed the events named "Recuerda a CÇsar Chavez."

These events included an informational art exhibit at the South Broadway Cultural Center with video and other visual art dedicated to Chavez's accomplishments.

"It is good especially for the young people, for our elders, and the folks that have sacrificed for so long," Acosta said. "This is an homage to them and it's a nice commitment to our kids."