5/19_soccer

James Rogers reacts after missing a goal against Grand Canyon University at the UNM Soccer Complex on Saturday. The 11th ranked Lobos ran to a 3-1 victory over the Antelopes.

Freshmen stake their claims

@Liam_CE

A slow first half didn’t derail the New Mexico men’s soccer team against Grand Canyon at the UNM Soccer Complex on Saturday.

The 11th-ranked Lobos had goals from forward Niko Hansen and midfielder James Wypych, both freshmen, to propel them to a 3-1 victory over the Antelopes in front of 1,620 fans.

The Lobos capitalized on an early opportunity with 32:50 left in the first half, scoring with a header from redshirt senior Kyle Venter coming off the leg of senior midfielder Michael Calderon.
Grand Canyon State’s Alberto Sanchez Garcia scored the equalizer six minutes later.

Hansen netted UNM’s second goal six minutes before halftime for a 2-1 lead.

“It was exciting,” said Hansen in reaction to his first goal. “It was good to get it out of the way.”

However, head coach Jeremy Fishbein said he was not impressed with the team’s play in the opening half.

“We came out like it was our first game,” he said.
The Lobos picked up their defensive intensity in the second half, during which Fishbein said he thought the team stepped up.

“We got everything we wanted out of this game,” he said. “I thought we were excellent in the second half. I don’t think they had a shot on goal. We were very good.”

Freshman midfielder James Wypych scored the final goal of regulation with 5:19 remaining in the second half, landing the Lobos a 3-1 victory.

Fishbein said the team achieved what it had wanted.

“We were pretty dynamic,” said Fishbein. “I think we’re going to score some goals.”

Venter said the upcoming exhibition games against Air Force and Denver University will help the coaches to see who really wants to play.

“As we move forward the coaches will start narrowing down the rosters as they perceive the players who will play,” Venter said. “It will be a good bonding for the team.”

This was the third match the Lobos and Antelopes have played since 2011. UNM defeated GCU 2-1 earlier this spring and won 2-0 in 2011.