10/14_soccer

Senior midfielder Michael Calderon, 11, celebrates with Christopher Wehan after the redshirt freshman’s first goal of the season for the Lobos against Florida International on Saturday night at the UNM Soccer Complex.

Saturday conquest breaks home loss streak

assistantsports@dailylobo.com
@JROppenheim

In the 11 games leading up to Saturday’s Conference USA game, New Mexico’s Christopher Wehan tried to score on 12 different occasions. None found the net.

Turns out it was only a matter of time for the Lobos’ redshirt freshman midfielder.

Wehan finally cracked into UNM’s scoring column against Florida International, recording his first career goal in the Lobos’ 2-1 overtime victory over the Panthers. Senior forward James Rogers scored the game-winner in the extra session.

Not only did Wehan snap his scoring drought, the team ended a skid of its own. The win broke a four-game home losing streak that dated back to Sept. 13.

“It was just a big sigh of relief to get my first goal of the season,” said Wehan, whose team improved to 7-3-2 on the year and remained unbeaten in C-USA.

At 3-0-1 in C-USA play, UNM sits atop the conference standings. Alabama-Birmingham fell from that spot after the Blazers suffered a 3-2 overtime loss to Old Dominion. The Monarchs are now in second place, with the Blazers dropping to third.

Wehan’s goal came nearly 21 minutes into the game and brought UNM a 1-0 lead, receiving an assist from UNM’s top scorer, freshman Niko Hansen. Hansen snatched the ball away from an FIU defender in the attacking end and sent it to Wehan, who shot from the top of the box past FIU goalkeeper Lawrence Craggs.

It was Wehan’s third shot of the night. His first shot at 7:28 from the top of the box sailed over the net, while his second try came from the left wing and went wide.

Prior to Saturday, Wehan had taken the most shots of any UNM player without scoring. He is now one of seven Lobos with at least one goal.

“The thing that impresses me about Chris is he’s not a big guy but he’s pretty tough, and he’s getting used to that,” UNM head coach Jeremy Fishbein said. “He’s going to continue to grow and grow as a player. We’re real happy with how he’s playing.”

The game escalated into a physical affair. Four FIU players — Kevin Barbar, Roberto Alterio, Ismael Longo and Luke Bray — received yellow card warnings from the referee. UNM’s Rogers and Oniel Fisher had yellow cards as well. The Panthers committed 17 fouls while UNM had 14.

FIU tied the match at one goal apiece early in the second half following a save by UNM’s Michael Lisch. The Lobo goalkeeper made a diving stop on an Alterio shot, but junior forward Quentin Albrecht rebounded the ball at the far post and sent it into the net.

Rogers blasted his golden goal game-winner nine minutes into the overtime period. Kyle Venter’s header off a crossing pass flew to the far post, and Rogers put the shot away from point-blank range.

The goal was Rogers’ fifth of the year.

“As a soccer player you just need one second to change the whole game,” Rogers said. “I was fortunate to be in the situation.”
Lisch finished his game in the net with three saves, while Craggs stopped one UNM shot-on-goal. The Lobos outshot FIU by a 12-8 margin and attempted six corner kicks to the Panthers’ three.

UNM entered the game after Wednesday’s 1-0 win at Tulsa. Hansen brought his season goal total to six by scoring the game’s lone goal at the 76:49 mark. Rogers had the assist.

“This is just an excellent conference,” Fishbein said. “There are no easy games in this conference. It’s good. What do we got? Three wins and a tie. We’re four in. Couldn’t ask for more.”